Author Topic: Identification of a Coat of Arms  (Read 4918 times)

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of a Coat of Arms
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »
You are right KGarrad, they do seem to change a lot. I think those pictures you linked to are good canidates, but I am out of my depth in this area.

It seems there are so many variations and combinations, and many used by the same family's - its hard to tell.

Her best bet would be to contact the Royal college of arms I think. I have a few books on the subject, but herons & storks are used in many of them.

Cheers.

Turnip.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong on this, but many families modify the heraldry as it moves down the generations, often joining the arms of marrying in families. I've seen many variations on the only grant of Arms I know anything about, and it does seem logical that the basic heraldry would develop over time. Good luck, this could be a really tough one.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Secretary Middleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 November 16 09:44 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for your help - it has started us on a journey of discovery!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 November 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Sec'y if you manage to find a Sinclair link this site might help, I believe searching the index is free.

http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/221.185.html

Skoosh.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 November 16 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if Sinclair is on the list but will have a look.  Thanks

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 November 16 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the cross : although at first glance the hatching appears to be vertical lines, indicating "gules", a close look suggests that it was originally both vertical and horizontal (compare the right side of the cross with the left side) which would be "sable". This would, as KGarrad has observed, most likely indicate the Mohun family. 
I can't identify the "stork" arms but, like KGarrad, I wonder if they are Herons, not Storks. Two families, the Hernes and the Herons (probably from the same origin) bear different versions involving a chevron between three Herons.
This shield will represent a marriage some time in the mid 1700s possibly between a man of the Heron/Herne family and a lady from the Mohuns.  Any takers ?  :)

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 November 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
With your help we believe the following:
The coat of arms commemorates a marriage between Mr Brooke and Miss Heron, or a Mr Heron and Miss Brooke. Felicia Brooke (1723 - 1805) of Mere Hall, Cheshire married George Heron (? - 1780) of Daresbury Hall, also Cheshire, which appears to be a good fit.

The Brooke arms are "Or, a cross engrailed party per pale gules and sable". Heron arms "Gules, a chevron ermine between three herons argent."

At Christie's in 2010 there was a sale of the contents of Newton Hall in Northumberland in which the following was auctioned:
A GEORGE III BALUSTER SILVER COFFEE POT
MARK OF JOHN SWIFT, LONDON, 1766
With gadroon borders, the fluted spout issuing from an acanthus leaf, one side engraved with coat-of-arms within rococo cartouche
10¼ in. (26 cm.) high
20 oz. (620 gr.)
The arms are those of Heron impaling Brooke for the marriage of George Heron and Felicia Brooke of Mare, Cheshire, circa 1765.

Thank you to everyone think we have it  ;D

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 November 16 12:28 GMT (UK) »
The Brooke arms are "Or, a cross engrailed party per pale gules and sable". Heron arms "Gules, a chevron ermine between three herons argent."

Aha! ;D

I can see that now!

And, from "Elements of Heraldry", available on Google Books, Page 99:
The eleventh is Or, a Cross engrailed party per pale Gules and Sable for the name of Brooke, and borne by Sir Richard Brooke, of Norton in Cheshire, Bart.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 November 16 12:36 GMT (UK) »
 ;D fab that's the one!!