Author Topic: Mee family get together  (Read 3618 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mee family get together
« on: Tuesday 08 November 16 14:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi I have received this invitation form Diseworth Heritage centre:

TEA WITH A MEE
Diseworth Heritage Centre
Sunday 22nd January 2017
2pm – 5pm
The Diseworth Heritage Trust has received many requests for details of ancestry for the surname MEE. These requests have come from as far as Canada, Australia and South Africa, but also from more local people (me due to RC!) Thanks to Keith Murphy, genealogist at Long Whatton History Society, we have censuses from 1841, Marriages, Baptisms and Parish Records with the surname MEE in them.
The earliest record for Diseworth is from the 16th century and the name recurs through the following years.The male first names that are most frequent are Robert, William, Thomas and John. Girls are Mary, Hannah, Elizabeth and Ann
However in later years other names are shown.Headstones in the Baptist churchyard record a John Mee and a William Mee. There are of course, other surnames as the women married into local families; Muggleston, Bakewell, Jarrom, Fletcher and such. The Mees are particularly associated with the Baptist Chapel in Diseworth  which became the Heritage Centre. The plot was acquired by John Mee in 1711 and inherited by his son William and In 1747 William Mee wrote a will leaving the property which was by then being used as a Meeting Place for ‘dissenters’ to his daughter Mary who had married a Henry Bosworth; Mary’s will in 1774‘bequeathed the whole property to ‘such....as profess themselves to be of that religion called the Baptists’. Mees and their descendants continued to be involved as trustees of the chapel for some years.                           
 When the building was restored in 2008 a glass panel records the names of the prominent people of those early days.
 We would be very pleased to hear from anyone with a Mee connection; If you can come to the Heritage Centre in January please bring any Birth Certificates, family records, photographs or documents which you are willing to share and hopefully meet others, kith or kin with the name Mee in their history.
 DISEWORTH HERITAGE CENTRE
 diseworthcentre.org
Sounds good -- they have done this with other family names before & helped a lot of people. Please spread the news.
Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mee family get together
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diddy
I have mee as well as well from mums side daisy mee Her grans side markfield Leicester they were half sister and Massey Dailey ran the George pub now co.op there is Tom mee and his wife they live little markfield next door to little markfield farm .hes related to mee as well .
Steve

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, maybe see you at the get together then.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:47 GMT (UK) »

Just a reminder for the New Year = Tea with a Mee!

Diddy

Offline helbrtn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diddy, I look forward to seeing you at the Diseworth event. I may have more info about the Derbyshire/Leicestershire Mee family after a proposed visit (next month) to Leicester Records Office to view John Mee's original will of 1552.

I believe the family members named in John Mee's will, ie... Avorete Mee and Mr Chalons Howet are typos from the original transcriptions. They are most likely to be Margaret (Margarete) (Margareta) Mee and Nicholas or Nicholai Howet (Howett or Howitt).

Any thoughts?

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, they do have some original Mee wills at Diseworth but I can't remember which ones.

I hope to see you there. Please bring any documentation/  info you have.

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »

Heads up for Sunday!  ;D

Diddy

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I'll be there!  No personal connections with any Mee family, but I do have information from South Africa and Australia  ;D

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 17 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Great. I don't have a connection myself but have helped several people with their Mee families as I live locally.

Diddy