Author Topic: FLANAGAN OF TULLAMORE  (Read 4316 times)

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FLANAGAN OF TULLAMORE
« on: Tuesday 08 November 16 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I have had an amazing amount of help from this forum re the surname Flanagan you helped me find the following

Register of births for Tullamore,
Catherine daughter of William Flanagan and Mary nee Butler, Wm is a labourer, living in Clonminch. Born 29th June 1913 Registered 19th August 1913

I know these details are correct because her death index indicates her birth date was 29th June 1913 though the lady called herself Kathleen and by the time of her wedding in 1936 her Father is a retired Police Officer

What I find really puzzling is that Catherine's parents marriage was in 1889. I can find no other children born to the couple so why was Mary in her forties when she had her first child? I can find no other marriage of a William Flanagan to a Mary Butler. There were several Flanagans in the Tullamore area.

William Flanagan, aged 21, Batchelor, Labourer married Mary Butler, aged 20, Spinster, Servant. William from Cloneallague, Father James Flanagan, a labourer. Mary Butler from Tullamore, father is Patrick Butler, a labourer.married at Tullamore R.C. Chapel on the 6th March 1889
Witnesses Edward Callery and Mary Richards

The friend I am trying to help says that his mother Kathleen/Catherine told him she had a sister called Mary but I can't find her.

Thank-you once again
Mary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FLANAGAN OF TULLAMORE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
The only problem is that I know the registration for Catherine in 1913 is correct, the census in 1901 could be her parents but it looks as if William is no longer around in 1911 and Mary is listed as Head of the family.  William Flanagan is the Father on the birth registration
For some reason I can no longer look at the images on the website you have linked me to for the birth certificates maybe I tried to use it too much. I can look at the census entries though.

I am so anxious not to sound ungrateful for all your help

Mary 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
She's not a widow and as he was a policenan maybe on duty that night...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:35 GMT (UK) »
sorry.... not a policeman!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
You know his age so  Death results for William Flanagan of Tullamore

Displaying results 1 - 14 of 14. irishgenealogy

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01itj/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
William's name is still on the house in 1911, he is listed on the house and building return.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002673344/
The other page has been changer from William to Mary.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002673365/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 08:50 GMT (UK) »
For some reason I can no longer look at the images on the website you have linked me to for the birth certificates maybe I tried to use it too much. I can look at the census entries though.
Have you followed the instructions (tick 'I am not a robot', etc.)?

I know these details are correct because her death index indicates her birth date was 29th June 1913 though the lady called herself Kathleen and by the time of her wedding in 1936 her Father is a retired Police Officer
The birthdate you gave does fit that birth but the father's occupation concerns me. William Flanagan seems to be a labourer up until at least 1901 census when he was age 40- far too late to suddenly become a policeman. Also, policemen usually didn't serve in the county they (or their spouse) was born in. Of course, it's entirely possible that she made up a 'better' occupation for her father when she married.

I have had an amazing amount of help from this forum re the surname Flanagan you helped me find the following
Your previous topic shows completely different details- with a waterford connection-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757512.msg6075986#msg6075986
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Again thank-you very much,the reason I originally gave you conflicting information was that I am trying to help someone else and he told me he thought!!!!!! his Mother Kathleen came from Waterford. So that was my jumping off point.

In answer to my problem with the website when I first went on there with this forums guidance I found out a lot of info. Trying after a few days to find out more the website kept asking me to tick if I was a robot and then I went through the picture questions. Is there a limit to the number of searches that a person can make?

I think you are probably correct about the fictitious occupation for the Father. We know people weren't always truthful on certificates.

I think you are correct with the family, especially as there is a daughter Called Mary. Most of it fits in and William probably was a labourer and not a police office
Mary