Author Topic: Family of Joseph BOCARRO (1857 - 1944) J.P., I.S.O., from Bombay, INDIA.  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
Family of Joseph BOCARRO (1857 - 1944) J.P., I.S.O., from Bombay, INDIA.
« on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Here is my best version of the family of Joseph BOCARRO. 

Joseph Bocarro, J.P., I.S.O. (1857 – 1944), third son of John and Gertrude Bocarro, was born on October 9th., 1857, in Cavel, Bombay, India.  Joseph Bocarro was one of the founding members of the Bombay East Indian Association, in 1887, and was the first Treasurer thereof.  Joseph married Rose Mary Esperance (c1870 – 1959), in St. Peter’s Church, Bandra, Bombay, on February 2nd., 1891.  They probably first lived in Cavel and moved to Bandra, before 1900, where they lived in “The Anchorage” (site of the present Carmel Convent).  In 1911, King George V, of England, awarded Joseph the title of Companion of the Imperial Service Order I.S.O..  Joseph was a Justice of the Peace, in Bombay (J.P.).  Joseph was Assistant Secretary to the Government of Bombay Judicial Dept., in the Secretariat.  After retirement, he was Registrar of the Bombay Medical Association.  Joseph, aged 87, died on November 24th., 1944 and Rose Mary, aged 89, on September 15th., 1959;  both are buried, with m.i., in St. Andrew’s churchyard, Bandra.  Joseph and Rose Mary had issue:     
a.   Charlotte Elizabeth Bocarro, eldest, born 1891, who married Francis Stanislaus de Ga, in 1911, in St. Andrew's Church, Bandra, Bombay.  Francis was Dep. Accountant to the Government of India, in Bombay.  They had issue:  Constance, Trevor, Kevin, Bernice and Godfrey.     
b.     Cecil Joseph Bocarro, born 1893, who married Dr. Mary Anne Adelaide Ferreira, in St. Theresa's Chapel, Girgaum, Bombay.  Cecil was Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India.  They had issue:  Enid, Julian, Leonard and Eric.     
c.      Edith Mary Bocarro, born 1894, who married Charles Joseph Philipps in 1918.  Charles was Secretary to the General Manager, G.I.P. Railway.  They had issue:  Barbara, Quintin, Harold, Bertie and Phoebe. 
d.      Hermione Louise Bocarro, born 1900, who married Joseph Thomas Ferreira, solicitor, in Our Lady of the Mount Church, Bandra, Bombay.  They had issue:  Fay, Terence, Irene, Marilyn and Michael. 
e.      George Christopher Bocarro, born 1902, who married Marjorie Pereira, in Mount Mary's Church, Bandra, Bombay.  George was an architect in the G.I.P. Railway, Bombay.  They had issue: Bernadette and Elaine.         

I seek contact and information sharing with any researcher or descendant of this family, all relatives of mine. 

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira

ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline gdcruz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Joseph BOCARRO (1857 - 1944) J.P., I.S.O., from Bombay, INDIA.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello. I believe this Bocarro family is connected with my Barretto-de Souza family of Bombay and Calcutta via Francis Stanislaus Joseph DE GA (1886-1957) who married Charlotte Elizabeth Bocarro (1891-1979) in 1911 at St Andrews Church in Bandra. Francis was a descendant of Sir Michael/Miguel de Souza.

Sir Michael was the brother of Anthony de Souza, Manoel de Souza and Thomas de Souza II (the sons of Thomas de Souza (I) as shown in the de Souza genealogical tree I got from the British National Archives). Thomas de Souza (II) had a son named Thomas de Souza (III) who married Pascoa Barretto who was the eldest daughter of Luis/Lewis and Deodata/Deodita Barretto). In some books this Pascoa Barretto-de Souza was credited to have been instrumental in the building of a church in Calcutta in the early 1800s.

Luis Barretto (Pascoa Barretto-de Souza's father) was the son of Antonio Lourenco Barretto who married PASCOA DE SOUZA and I read somewhere that she was a sister or even half-sister to Sir Michael de Souza. Can you she more light on PASCOA DE SOUZA's parentage or relationship to the earlier de Souza's I mentioned? PASCOA was a brickwall for me for the last 15 years. Thank you and regards.

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 July 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi "gdcruz".  You are probably a cousin of my wife's or mine. 

Thank you very much for your information-packed message.  Much appreciated. 

Greetings from Toronto, Canada.  I definitely would like to build on this correspondence with you.  Perhaps, it would be best to continue on regular e-mail.  I am Peter Ferreira, originally from Bandra, but now living in Toronto.  My e-address is: 
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

All those names you mention are relations of my wife's.  She was born Cornelia de Ga, in Bandra. 

Here is a brief biography on one of her ancestors, Sir Michael de Lima e Souza, of Mazagaon, Bombay: 

"  Michael (Miguel) de Lima e Souza was born approximately 1750.  Originally, his ancestral family owned Mazagaon Island, Bombay, which they had procured from the King of Portugal, in 1572 and retained for a couple of centuries thereafter.  The family house was located adjacent to or within the grounds of the old Church of Nossa Senhora de Gloria, which was built in 1632, at the foot of the Mazagaon hill.  The old church was demolished in 1911 and the present Gloria Church, Byculla, was built on another location, in 1913.  Michael’s parents were probably Joseph de Souza and Louisa Serrao (source:  Megan de Souza).  However, the Geni Tree shows Joseph’s spouse to be Catherina Mirando, which is probably erroneous.  It would appear that Michael had the following siblings:  Manoel; Pascoa, who married Anthony Lawrence Barretto; Thomas, who married unknown; and Antonio, who married Susanna Servier.  On February 2nd., 1784, Michael de Lima e Souza married (1) Rose Pereira and they had two daughters, Emily and Louisa.  Rose died on January 31st., 1786.   She was buried in the Bombay Fort Chapel of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.  Michael married (2) Anna Maria Carvalho and they raised six children.  Michael was a well known cotton merchant in Bombay;  he had strong business connections with the Goa merchants.  He also served as a civil servant to the Bombay Government.  Sir Michael was a prominent Catholic and a strong supporter of the Padroado regime, in the Catholic Church, in Bombay.  On February 6th., 1804, Michael was honoured  by a Portuguese award as Knight of the Most Honourable and Ancient Order of Christ.  Sir Michael de Lima e Souza died on December 4th., 1808.  Anna Maria, his widow, died on August 16th., 1827.  Michael and Rose Pereira, his first wife, had issue.  " 

There were eight children, in all, who generated a tribe of descendants. 

I have my tree on Geni and would be delighted to get Geni to invite you to join our tree, which would be feasible only if you are a cousin to one of us.  So, let us examine your connections to my wife and myself. 

My ancestoral families from Bombay are:  Ferreira, Rowe, Henriques, etc.  Cornelia's ancestral families from Bombay are:  de Ga, Bocarro, Oss, Gonsalves, Esperance, Philipps, etc, etc..  She is descended from Sir Michael de Lima e Souza, through his daughter, Anna Maria de Lima e Souza, who married Nicholas Fernandes.   

I look forward to hearing much more from you and to a fruitful sharing of family history information and notes.

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira
Toronto, Canada. 
(originally from Bombay, India) 
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi "gdcruz", 

I am referring to some notes, kindly shared by an Indian cousin of mine.  I have not researched this family personally;  however, the source has generally proved very reliable.  According to these notes: 

Joseph de Souza married Suzanna Servier.   They had issue: 

1.  Manoel de Souza.
2.  Pascoa de Souza, who married Anthony Lawrence Barretto, c1801.  They had issue:  Joseph, John, Louis (who married Diodita Y. Lobrinho) and another daughter, who married.     
3.   Thomas de Lima e Souza, who married and had issue:  Dioditta (who married Luis Barretto) and Thomas de Souza (who married Pascoa Barretto)
4.  Michael de Lima e Souza, whom I mentioned in my earlier response, a few minutes ago.  He was my wife's ancestor.   
5.  Antonio de Souza, who married Susanna Servier, and had issue:  Quiteria and Edward Arthur de Souza. 

I do not know whether the children are listed in chronological order.  I do have some further notes on this family.  Any interest? 

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi "gdcruz".

My deepest apologies.  Please ignore my Reply # 3 in this string, posted at 19:53 on Monday.  That message of mine has major errors and I withdraw it, totally.  I had a major problem lining up several separate sheets of family history notes.  We will pick up our discussion about the parents and siblings of Sir Michael de Lima e Souza, after you get back to me. 

Sorry about that. 

Best wishes. 

Peter.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline gdcruz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter. Nice to hear from you. I sent you a private message via your e-mail. Hopefully we can exchange info on the de Souzas.

Regards,
Gilbert
Manila,Philippines

Offline Sammy Bee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Long shot here but I think I may be related here.

My Grandmother was Bernadette Cabral (nee Bocarro) who had a sister Elaine who were children of Joseph's 5th child George??

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 January 20 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sammy Bee, 

Yes, Elaine Bocarro, from Bandra, was a second cousin of mine.  I can help you if you are interested in our shared Bocarro family history.  I am one of the Bocarro family genealogists and have more than 300 Bocarro relatives in my Bocarro Family Tree.  The oldest Bocarro on my tree is Michael Bocarro (c1773 - 1848).  What are you interested in?  I would be delighted to share Bocarro notes with you.  I am married to one of the Bandra Bocarro descendants  -  so I am only connected to you through marriage. 

Please contact me at:    peterferreira@rogers.com 

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira
Toronto, Canada. 

Here are my notes on Cousin Berna and Uncle George B. 

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira
Toronto, Canada

GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 February 20 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sammy Bee, 

Sorry, I failed to add in that promised note on our Shared Bocarro family.  Here are my notes on Uncle George and his family, including my cousins Berna and Elaine: 

"  George Christopher Bocarro, son of Joseph Bocarro and Rose Mary Esperance, was born in Bandra, on May 2nd., 1902.  On February 26th., 1927, in Mount Mary’s Church, Bandra, George married Marjorie Pereira.  George was an architect in the G.I.P. Railway.  They lived in “The Anchorage” on Mount Mary’s Road, in Bandra.  George, aged 67, died on July 31st., 1969 and Marjorie, aged 87, on December 28th., 1991;  they are both buried in St. Andrew’s churchyard, Bandra.  George and Marjorie had issue:     

1]    Bernadette Mary Bocarro, born on September 17th., 1927.  In about 1952, she married Roydon Cabral.  Roy and Berna migrated to England.  In England, Berna taught yoga and was known as Yogini Sunita.  Berna died about Q2 of 1970, in Walsall, England.  They had issue:  Ken, Mignon and Yasmin Cabral (b. in Q3 of 1962 in Walsall).   

2]    Elaine Angela Bocarro, born in Bandra, on October 2nd., 1928; bp. in St. Andrew’s church on October 20th., 1928.  On March 31st., 1953, in Kensington district, London, England, she married Elliot Jacob Fernandes and they lived in London and Bandra West where they had issue:  Elliot (b. in Q4 of 1955 in Ealing, London), Marc Mario (who died and was buried in the Bocarro grave, in St. Andrew’s churchyard) and Ramon.  Elaine died on July 13th., 2008 and was buried in St. Andrew’s Churchyard, in the Bocarro grave.       

3]    Philomena Bocarro, died young.

4]    Geoffrey Bocarro, died young.

Happy browsing!!   I have oodles and oodles more of Bocarro family history notes, if you are interested.  Just contact me by e-mail. 

e-mail:        peterferreira@rogers.com

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira.
Toronto,
Canada. 

GAPPER of Winsham, Som.