Author Topic: Descendants from John Lawrence FOWLER (c1851 - 1911)  (Read 852 times)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
Descendants from John Lawrence FOWLER (c1851 - 1911)
« on: Wednesday 09 November 16 01:33 GMT (UK) »
I seek assistance in defining the descendants of my FOLWER branch, descended from this John Lawrence Fowler.  Here is what I know about them: 

John Lawrence Fowler, eldest son of Joseph Francis and Elizabeth Fowler, was born c 1851 in Winterborne Kingston, Dorset, and baptized in Wareham, St. Mary, on August 11th., 1851 (I.G.I.).  On September 5th., 1878, in St. John’s Church, Ealing, in Brentford district (BMD ref:  3a / 103) John married Marianne Tillyer, the only daughter of James Tillyer, of Craven House, Ealing;  Marianne had been born in London, Middlesex about Q1 of 1854, when her birth was registered in St. George Hanover Sq.  In the 1881 census they lived on Dorchester Road in Milborne St. Andrew, John 29 being a senior partner in J. L. Fowler & Co. Coal Factory, living with Marian 26 and Joseph H 18 months.  In the 1891 census at 5 North Parade Passage, St James, Bath, Somerset, there were John L. 39 and Marianne 37;  their three children, Elizabeth T. 9, John L. 7 and Mary 4, all pupils / scholars, were enumerated boarding with a family  in Milborne St. Andrew;  no sign of son Joseph.  In the 1901 census, John Fowler 49 married was a boarder in Melcombe Regis, living on his own means;  Elizabeth  was in Bromley, Kent;  John jr. was in Basing, Hants;  I  cannot find Joseph or Mary;  Marian 50, single <sic>, was living on own means in Wallington, Surrey.  Marianne Fowler 47 died in Dorchester district, Dorset, on April 23rd., 1901.  John Lawrence Fowler 60 was buried in Melcombe Regis, St. Mary and St. John churchyard, Dorset, on March 22nd., 1911 (NBI-2).  John and Marian(ne) had issue:
(1)   Joseph Honnor Fowler, born in Milborne St. Andrew about 1879;   the birth of Joseph Honnor Fowler, in Q4 of 1879 was registered in Blandford district (BMD ref:  5a / 260);  bp. in Milborne St. Andrew, on October 24th., 1879.  Joseph, 18 months old, was noted in the 1881 census, living with his parents, in Milborne St. Andrew.  I cannot find this Joseph in the 1891 or 1901 censuses.  Joseph ?Honnor? Fowler 31, single, born in Milborne St. Andrew, was enumerated in the 1911 census, as a farmer employer, at ?Rynell / Rignall Farm, at Great Missenden, Bucks, in the district of Amersham.  Joseph H. Fowler 66 died in Amersham, Bucks, on September 30th., 1945.     
(2)   Elizabeth Tillyer Fowler, born in Milborne St. Andrew, Dorset, in Q4 of 1881; bp. there on October 21st., 1881.  Elizabeth Tillyer Fowler 29, single, was last noted in the 1911 census, in Westerham?, Tatsfield, Surrey.             
(3)   John Lawrence Fowler, born in Northport, Wareham, Dorset, on January 21st., 1884;  bp. February 24th., 1884.  John Lawrence Fowler 27, single, a farm bailiff, was enumerated in the 1911 census in Great Missenden, Bucks.  John L. Fowler married Ida M. D. White, in Aylesbury district, Bucks, about Q2 of 1911.  They apparently lived in Uxbridge district, where the births of their three children were registered.  John died about Q3 of 1952, in Uxbridge district.  .    [ancestors of John S. L. Fowler and James Fowler]   
●   Marjorie E. M. Fowler, birth registered in Q3 of 1912, in Uxbridge district.  About Q3 of 1935, in Uxbridge district, she married John J. O’Reilly, an RAF Squadron Leader, who died about the 1980s.   Marjorie died in the 1990s.  John and Marjorie had one son and one daughter.     
●   John Lawrence Fowler, born April 16th., 1914, birth registered in Q2 of 1914, in Uxbridge district, Middlesex, England.  John married and had two known sons.  John 89 died in April 2003, in Ealing, London. 
●   Robert G. A. Fowler, birth registered in Q4 of 1917, in Uxbridge district.  Bob was in the RAF and was killed in W.W. II.  No issue.     
(4)   Mary Fowler, born in Milborne St. Andrew, Dorset, about Q3 of 1886.  Mary 24, a poultry farmer, was last noted in the 1911 census, living with her sister, Elizabeth, in Westerham?, Surrey.           

I would appreciate any assistance defining other descendants of this family, especially from Joseph Honnor, Elizabeth and Mary Fowler, all cousins of mine. 

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira.
Toronto, Canada.
ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants from John Lawrence FOWLER (c1851 - 1911)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 16 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked to see if anyone has your family in their Surname Interests (under Your Tools, below) and then tried to make contact with them for more information.

Have you got all the death certificates and wills of the people that you have written about, for possible leads to other family members?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I do not have full access to the 1939 census, but Joseph H Fowler living in Amersham Bucks born 1879 is showing with Gladys C A Fowler plus others,

Have you used the 1939 for finding more information about your relatives?

Added:
So probably this marriage:
Marriages June quarter 1915
Gladys C A Ford    Newbury    2c   707    
 Joseph H    Fowler    Newbury    2c   707

2 highly likely births in Amersham for their children.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 16 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Births June quarter 1916 
Evelyn E M Fowler    Amersham    3a   1760   

Marriages December quarter 1946
Evelyn E M Fowler    Wycombe    6a   996    
 James H    Spear    Wycombe    6a   996

Evelyn Elizabeth M Spear
Birth 19 April 1916  Death Date of Registration   January 2000  aged 83
Plymouth, Devon  C60A   4161C     110 
(Apply for will?)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 16 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Death of Elizabeth:
   Elizabeth T Fowler
Birth Date about 1882  death date of Registration:   March 1941
Age at Death:   59
Uxbridge  Middlesex
3a  213

Look for probate records for more information
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=fowler&yearOfDeath=1941&page=2#calendar

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 16 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,

Many thanks for your four suggestions.  Much appreciated!! 

That marriage of Joseph Honnor Fowler to Gladys Ford in Q2 of 1915 sounds very plausible and encouraging.  I will check it out.  I was not aware that any British censuses after 1911 had been released, already.  I had not even heard (in Toronto) of the 1939 census being available.  Thank you for the lead to their children Evelyn and Joseph.   

Best wishes. 

Peter 

ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 16 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Information about the 1939 'census':

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register/1939-register-getting-started

(So you can see so much from free access, but need to belong to FindMyPast for full)

It does also have the advantage as updates were made for quite a few years afterwards, so you can often find out females married names and also work out if anyone has definitely died as they will show.