Author Topic: Why isn't he on IrishGenealogy ?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't he on IrishGenealogy ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Ah, OK.  I think I understand why I'm not making any sense.  Here's a photo of the certificate copy which I have, which shows the registration district as Clones.  Hence the confusion about him turning up under Cootehill Registration District.

The copy is of a certificate issued in 1972.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Ahhhh that is because people can now travel and a lot of the Dispensaries were no longer needed.

The present day situation is completely different to 100 years ago
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Ok, but how does that explain a birth registration in Clones Superintendent District in 1915 now being found under Cootehill District in the online record?  I still think I'm missing something! ???

(Thanks for the link to the map, by the way, very useful!)
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 23:45 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't REGISTERED in Clones Superintendent District in 1915

It is a COPY issued recently from Clones which is now the Superintendent 's Office!

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 23:53 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't REGISTERED in Clones Superintendent District in 1915

It is a COPY issued recently from Clones which is now the Superintendent 's Office!

The document says it is of a birth Registered in the District of Dawsongrove (which as indicated in the link you posted is a Dispensary of the Cootehill District) in the Superintendent Registrar's District of Clones in the County of Monaghan.  It was issued by the Superintendant for the County of Monaghan from the Court House in Monaghan.  I am still perplexed as to how Clones should feature at all.  A clerical error?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 November 16 00:13 GMT (UK) »
100 years ago people went to their local dispensary,  yours to (C ) and registered the Birth.

The person who wrote the entry down in Dawsongrove was under the Superintendent in Cootehill.... people from other areas went to A or B.

A, B and C no longer exist.

THEY NOW come under Clones Superintendent Area.. which is what your copy says regardless that it was issued by the Superintendent for the County of Monaghan from the Court House in Monaghan!

I can get that Copy from any Reg Office in Ireland

Everything is different from what it was 100 years ago!!

Can you not understand that???

IT CAN NOT BE GOT FROM DAWSONGROVE WHERE THEY WENT!! IT NO LONGER EXISTS!!

NEITHER DOES A LOT OF OTHER PLACES THAT EXISTED THEN!

YOUR COPY NOW COMES FROM OTHER OFFICES THAT NOW EXIST!

ORIGINALLY YOUR FOLK WENT TO DAWSONGROVE.

THEIR ONLINE RECORDS WILL BE UNDER DAWSONGROVE

THE SUPERINTENDENTS OFFICE AT THAT TIME WAS IN COOTEHILL

THE PRESENT DAY STRUCTURE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! THEY NOW GET ISSUED FROM PLACES THAT EXIST!! 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 November 16 00:15 GMT (UK) »
The document IS A COPY AND says it is of a birth Registered in the District of Dawsongrove (which as indicated in the link you posted is a Dispensary of the Cootehill District)

DAWSONGROVE IS NOW UNDER the Superintendent Registrar's District of Clones in the County of Monaghan.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 November 16 03:35 GMT (UK) »
The document IS A COPY AND says it is of a birth Registered in the District of Dawsongrove (which as indicated in the link you posted is a Dispensary of the Cootehill District)

DAWSONGROVE IS NOW UNDER the Superintendent Registrar's District of Clones in the County of Monaghan.

Sorry, I'm still confused.  Doesn't the link you provided indicate that Dawsongrove is now under the Superintendent Registrar's District of COOTEHILL?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 November 16 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I thought hallmark had explained it quite well (several times) but apparently not so here's my one try  ::)

The birth took place in Drumcannon in 1914 and was registered at Dawsongrove where the local registrar was located and at that time Dawsongrove was the sub-district under Cootehill district. These details are shown at the top of the page. Therefore the birth appears in the index under Cootehill district.

Over the years many of the sub-districts were done away with. So, by 1972, when someone applied for a copy of the certificate that you have, the local office was Clones. Therefore, your certificate says Clones but that was NOT where it was originally registered.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!