Author Topic: Mamaroneck Meeting Records  (Read 1692 times)

Offline uzzk23a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mamaroneck Meeting Records
« on: Wednesday 09 November 16 19:07 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd-great grandfather was Samuel Robinson (b. 1763 Westchester, NY  d. 1844 Mamaroneck, Westchester, NY)
But I am having trouble finding his parents.

I believe they were Quakers - his daughter is mentioned in:
"Descendants of John Irish : the immigrant, 1623-1963, and allied families"
as: "dau. of a Quaker family, Samuel & Elizabeth Robinson of Westchester County, New York and a direct descendant of John Robinson of Leyden, Holland."

So I ordered from the FHS what I think are the relevant Meeting Records
Society of Friends. Purchase Monthly Meeting (New York : Hicksite) Monthly meeting records, 1724-1931
Marriages 1724-1800 Family History Library United States & Canada Film 17293 Item 1
Society of Friends. Purchase Monthly Meeting (New York : Orthodox) Monthly meeting records, 1725-1919
Testifications 1781-1789 Family History Library United States & Canada Film 17292 Item 2
Men's monthly meetings 1725-1747, 1772-1793 Family History Library United States & Canada Film 17289 Items 2-5
Men's monthly meetings 1777-1780 Family History Library United States & Canada Film 17292 Item 3
Men's monthly meetings 1793-1842 Family History Library United States & Canada Film 17290
Monthly meeting records, 1792-1793 Purchase Monthly Meeting (New York : Orthodox)
Minute book, 1792-1793 Family History Library United States & Canada Film 2027119 Item 10
(5 films total) ordered

After going through all these films (and almost going blind), I found not one single reference to this family.

Am I going about this wrong ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks!
Craig

Offline chrispl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mamaroneck Meeting Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
There are other Monthly Meetings in Westchester County NY apart from Purchase. www.quakermeetings.com is an extremely useful site for searching by county for meetings in North America.

The records of most monthly meetings in New York Yearly Meeting have been indexed by James E Hazard. His index has recently been put online at www.swarthmore.edu/Library/friends/hazard/index.html

Offline uzzk23a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mamaroneck Meeting Records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 16 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response, chrispl - I appreciate it !

In my previous work, I had searched the Hazard Index of the New York Yearly Meetings ... using every spelling variant I could think of, and found nothing. I found the Surrogates Court records of Samuel's estate - from which I got the names of 7 children. I could find none of their births or marriages, either.

In the Hazard index, there were 1,763 births with a last name starting with R. I imported all of these into an Excel spreadsheet, so I could search by "first three letters of last name = "Rob" ... and other such tricks. I found nothing for Samuel or any of his children.

In deciding to request the Purchase Monthly Meeting microfilms, I had looked at all the Westchester County Meetings, and how far the family would have had to travel from Mamaroneck to attend a different meeting. The next closest meeting at the time - Chappaqua - would have taken ~3 hours each way, I'm guessing:

Scarsdale         5 mi  (Records known extant: 1898 onward - not old enough)
Purchase          7 mi
Chappaqua        17 mi
Croton Valley    24 mi
Amawalk          30 mi
Yorktown Heights 31 mi

I didn't think it likely they would do that.

So I'm really at a loss here. Maybe he wasn't really a Quaker ? Or is there some other repository of records I'm missing ?