Author Topic: decipher 1851 Irish Census for Mayo  (Read 3700 times)

Offline liqnov

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
decipher 1851 Irish Census for Mayo
« on: Thursday 10 November 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all,

I am trying to decipher an extract from the Mayo 1851 Census and need some help if possible please?

Attached is the said document and on the righthand side mid way down is a hand written narrative which starts with a word that looks like "LUGHOON". This is a word i don't recognise, and could do with  help please. Also on this same narrative there is a word i cannot work out, and is the word following 'not appear as a ????, for the life of me i don't know what this word is.

The next part i am not sure about is at the top of the sheet where it says 'FULL NAME OF FATHER AND MOTHER OF APPLICANT, it says Pat & Mary Maye (Timlin), but further down the sheet under the heading of 'return searched by' the names read Patt & May Maye? confusing and again your help and comments will be gratefully received.

The townland is shown as Ballindoo or Doocastle, are these places, villiage's or something else?

I anyone recognises any of the people on this extract i would love to hear from you

Many thanks all

Regards

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: decipher 1851 Irish Census for Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 16 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Lughdoon does not appear as a townland (twld)in Costello Barony.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
FW did a search of Census on 30/11/1917 and found Patt and May both age 40 with children Dan 13 etc etc....

Offline liqnov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

Firstly thanks for the prompt replies. Twid does seem to be a good representation of the word. Now, MAY or MARY, the person requesting the census certainly does put MARY as the female and then the enumerator puts MAY. So would it not be correct to say the person requesting (their son), would know his mothers name. With this information can we say with certainty that, the enumerator wrote the wrong forename for the female or, has he read it wrong off the Census form. A real puzzle this one !!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

Firstly thanks for the prompt replies. Twid does seem to be a good representation of the word. Now, MAY or MARY, the person requesting the census certainly does put MARY as the female and then the enumerator puts MAY. So would it not be correct to say the person requesting (their son), would know his mothers name. With this information can we say with certainty that, the enumerator wrote the wrong forename for the female or, has he read it wrong off the Census form. A real puzzle this one !!

It says twld [a common abbreviation for townland] not twid.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

Not really if Parent's couldn't read or write! How would they know that what was written down was incorrect??  Or him??

has he read it wrong off the Census form?? No, because he didn't read it, FW did!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Some Marys are know as May.
All my gran's sisters except one called her Mary, one sister and therefore her children call her May, which I have to remember every time I email one of them with questions.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »

Offline liqnov

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 16 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark,

Yes FW read it and thats who i meant could have read it wrong?

Sinann,

Many thanks i did not know Mary's were called May