Author Topic: Edward Sandys, 1819, Roscommon  (Read 16886 times)

Offline Sarah in Midlands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ken Goldsack (1917 - 1994)
    • View Profile
Edward Sandys, 1819, Roscommon
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
???

I have an Edward Sandys whose birth is listed as 1819, Roscommon. 

I know by the 1840's he was in London.

Can anyone tell me how to find birth details etc for him?

I've tried familysearch to  no avail.

All help gratefully received.

Sarah
Goldsack
Small - Hampshire
Bridger
Norton - South London
Lambert - South London
Butcher - Dorking
Smith - Dorking / Charlwood
Major - Lincolnshire
East
Sandys
Wild
Read

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Sandys, 1819, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

The following resources may be of help to you.

The General Register Office of Ireland

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland

[url=http://www.irishroots.net/]Irish Roots

The National Library of Ireland

Irish Genealogy

Genealogical Society of Ireland

Irish Ancestors

National Archives of Ireland

Perhaps you would like to have a look at these resources to see if there is anything that might help you.

Please come back with any further queries or to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 05 07:50 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help . I have 4 families of Sandys living in Roscommon in early 1800's. are you sure the name is Edward could it be Edwin? are there any other details which would help to identify him like occupation ? one family had all sons in military? Cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 05 13:43 BST (UK) »
Oooh Cosmo!!!!  Apologies for the delay in responding - I've been away on hols...

All I know of him is from the census' and certificates. 

He married Elizabeth Stott in London in 1844.

In 1861 he is living in Southwark with his children Frances, Louisa, Edward and Robert.  His other daughter Eleanor is listed at a school a couple of doors down from them.  He is variously listed as a police constable and porter.

From the census, he was born around 1819 in Roscommon.

Does any of this help???

Best regards

Sarah
Goldsack
Small - Hampshire
Bridger
Norton - South London
Lambert - South London
Butcher - Dorking
Major - Lincolnshire
East
Sandys
Wild
Read

Offline william_walton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 December 05 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can confirm Edward Sandys ( Son of Alexander & Margaret Sandys of county Roscommon ) was in London in the early 1840s and I believe remained in London.

He died on the 28th of November 1874 at the age of 56 and is Interred at Victoria Park Cemetery ( unsure of locality but undertaker was W.Hodges , 85 Grange Road ).

Brother of Julia Maria Sandys ( Roscommon - Married Dockery ).

Would be interested in further information as well.

William

Offline Duncano

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Sandys was my great-great-great grandfather. Currently I know very little about Alexander.

On both Edward Sandys's marriage certificate in 1844 and Julia Sandys's marriage certificate in 1858 Alexander describes his profession as "gentleman". Presumably this implies he had a reasonable education and background.

My cousin has a letter written by Alexander to his son Edward in 1842 from Carracrin(m) Lodge County Roscommon. The family had fallen into debt and Alexander was in the process of selling his lands and Carracrin(m) Lodge "for a trifle". See also mention of an Alexander Reynolds Sandys "a modest squire of Carracrim" on www.ballykilcline.com. The story of Ballykilcline at this time may explain why Alexander had fallen into debt and why Edward left London to become a railway porter.

In his letter Alexander says "your poor brother John was very ill" and also sends regards from ""all your brothers and sisters" (which would imply quite a large family). Alexander also asks if Edward has seen Basil Sandys in London (I would guess this implies that Basil is not a brother but perhaps a cousin or uncle). The letter also mentions that Edward had fallen out with his brother-in-law, who I believe is called Mr Robinson.

Hope you find this useful. I haven't seen my cousin for awhile so I unfortunately haven't got a full copy of the letter or any other family documents that he holds.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 06 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

That's fantastic!  Another descendent of Alexander / Edward has done some research on the Sandys but as yet we have been unable to find a definate link back from Alexander so any information is most gratefully received...

Edward was my great x3 grandfather.  He married Elizabeth Stott in 1844 with whom he had at least 6 children.

Thank you so much for this snippet of information and I would really welcome any further information you or your cousin could provide - especially a transcript or copy of the letter if that was at all possible!!!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sarah
Goldsack
Small - Hampshire
Bridger
Norton - South London
Lambert - South London
Butcher - Dorking
Major - Lincolnshire
East
Sandys
Wild
Read

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 06 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I also have some SANDYS. 
Edward Stanley, b: 1725 of Roscommon married an Eliz. Thomas. They had a son Edward, 1748 of Roscommon who married Lydia Bacon. One of their sons James Henthorn Stanley, b: 1775, Lt. Royal Navy, married Eliz. Ireland. James Henthorn Stanley had a son Edmond who married a Rebecca Susan SANDYS in 1809. 

Another son William James married a Louisa SANDYS in 1835. Louisa's parents being Robert SANDYS & Mary Bouchier. He also married an Anne SANDYS, father of Ann was George SANDYS.

I don't know if these Sandys are of any interest but one never knows.

Offline lfh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi! This may be very very interesting for those on this thread, and for me too! (It could however not be!)

Although the name Edward SANDYS is not in my tree, Alexander SANDYS certainly is, and so is Julia Maria SANDYS as mentioned by William :

Brother of Julia Maria Sandys ( Roscommon - Married Dockery ).

Although I have lots of info (my) Alexander's children, I haven't been able to place them in Roscommon yet, so birth dates are 'circa's. I have Alexander living in Hull, and being in Runcorn, and that he is a retired farmer and gentleman. I don't have a spouse or a birth date for him, just a range of 1794 to 1806. He's my GG Grandfather.

I have five of his children, d.o.b. from censuses :

Julia Maria SANDYS, born ca 1836, Roscommon, Ireland;
William Alexander SANDYS, born ca 1838, in Ireland;
Thomas Conniff SANDYS, born ca 1842, Roscommon, Ireland;
Nehemiah SANDYS, born ca 1847, Ireland;
Eliza Mary SANDYS, born ca 1850-51, Roscommon, Ireland
  (She says Athlone in the 1871 census).

I am very interested in the info from William that :

I can confirm Edward Sandys ( Son of Alexander & Margaret Sandys of county Roscommon ) . . .

and also Duncano's info that :

Alexander Sandys was my great-great-great grandfather . . . On both Edward Sandys's marriage certificate in 1844 and Julia Sandys's marriage certificate in 1858 Alexander describes his profession as "gentleman".

and the info about the letter "written by Alexander to his son Edward in 1842 from Carracrin(m) Lodge County Roscommon. The family had fallen into debt and Alexander was in the process of selling his lands and Carracrin(m) Lodge "for a trifle".

Alexander was a farmer as I have said, and I have Julia's marriage certificate too.

Sarah in Midlands - who's the "Another descendent of Alexander / Edward (who) has done some research"?

My only doubts about the Edward / Alexander connection are that the spread of children would be too great (?) - Edward born 1819 - Eliza born 1851. That's 32 years, which is very unlikely unless there was a second marriage?

I'm sending this separately to Sarah in Midlands, Cosmo, William_Walton, and Duncano. Let's hope all this fits together somewhere!