Author Topic: Finding the Walker Family Darlington after 1901  (Read 975 times)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding the Walker Family Darlington after 1901
« on: Thursday 10 November 16 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have not been on Rootchat much recently but am back looking for my Walker Family after 1901 again.

John Walker b1860 Darlington
Ann Jane Walker (Nee Wilson) b1867 Liverpool (John's second wife)

Married 22/05/1893 in Darlington

Children
Henry b 1892     (one of these two was the child of his first wife                      )
Sarah  b 1892    ( the other probably the child of Ann Jane before they married)
Arthur  b 1985
Mary Annie  b 1897

I seem to have found glimpses of the children in the school registers but everything I have found after 1901 is very inconclusive. Arthur seems to have lived until the 1950's and Mary Annie may have died in 1907. But Sarah and Henry seem to have vanished.

I think the Father John died in 1907 but the death certificate is inconclusive. The names are just so common that it is hard to be certain.

If anyone has a chance to have a look for me to cast another pair of eyes I would very much appreciate it.

Happy to help others with some searching if needed too.

Thank you for any help
Best wishes
Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Walker Family Darlington after 1901
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Just checking this is the correct family for 1901.  All down as born Darlington even Ann.

Jack Walker 40
Ann 35
Sarah 9
Henry 10
Arthur 6
Mary A 4
Robert 53 brother
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you, yes thats them.
Yes it does say darlington for birth, but after getting the marriage certificate and searching for Ann Wilson she was in fact born in Liverpool, but spent her early years in Cockerton, Darlington.

I should add that John/Jack married Ann 3 months after his first wife who was also called Ann died - I could not quite believe it when I found it - by accident in on a microfiche I was scanning at Darlington Library.

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Also - just to add - Arthur was living with his half brother John Thomas Walker in 1911 in Darlington - This I do know.

BW

Vonni

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes just seen Arthur as a step brother but not having much luck finding any of the others  :(

They didn't waste much time remarrying in those days especially if they were widowed with young children to bring up.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely, You can see why but by todays standards I was quite surprised...

Where did they go? It is driving me mad, been looking for them for years and keep coming back to them.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:52 GMT (UK) »
What dates are the glimpses in the school registers and for which children?  Do they give addresses or any other snippets of info.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Yes

Harry Walker b 14/5/92
registered Browney Colliery school 10/9/95 and left 20/9/97

Sarah Walker b 12/6/92
registered Browney Colliery school 4/9/95 left 17/9/97

Both living at Palace Yard Bondgate, darlington

Mary Annie Walker b 2/5/97
Reg 26/11/00

Arthur Walker b 31/3/95
Reg 26/11/00

Both Living at 4 cleavers years where they were on the 1901 census

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 16 15:18 GMT (UK) »
The exact dates of birth could be helpful if they were still alive at the time of 1939 register.

I can only view the index but can have a look see if anything likely pops up.  Appreciate as you say the name is not a good one to be sure of anything.

There was a Mary Ann Walker 14 inmate born Darlington but no telling who she was.

Pick - Frocester Glos