Author Topic: Absolutely can not find a birth index!!!!!  (Read 6262 times)

Offline .Martha.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Absolutely can not find a birth index!!!!!
« on: Thursday 10 November 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This my first post here so hope this is ok!!! I have done some research on my family, but can not for the life of me find someone's birth index!

Bit of background: Barnett Horne was born in around 1903/4, and according to the 1911 census he was born in London. BUT the family lived in Wales, and at the time of Barnett's birth there are records to show his siblings were at school in Wales. So that's a another puzzle, did the mother go down to London by herself?

I have his mothers maiden name (Iseefichmon -the family were Russian/Jewish immigrants), but can not find a record of his birth under any variation of Barnett Horne!!!

Any suggestions on how I can track this down?? I hope this makes sense!!

Thank you,
Martha

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely can not find a birth index!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :).

I will start looking but meanwhile it is always helpful if you can tell us exactly where & which websites you have tried & if you have tried any name variations rather than 'I have looked everywhere'.  Do you have a marriage certificate which might give father's name.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline .Martha.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :).

I will start looking but meanwhile it is always helpful if you can tell us exactly where & which websites you have tried & if you have tried any name variations rather than 'I have looked everywhere'.  Do you have a marriage certificate which might give father's name.

Josey

Thank you  :)

His father's name is Harris Horne (although in one record this is mistranscribed as Vaughan!) And in terms of searching I have mainly searched on ancestry, I can't remember exactly what but have looked at all under the name 'HORNE' from 1903/1904/1905 and searched for Barnett too. Also have used the 'similar sounding results' function but no luck!!

Thank you again :)

Martha

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 16 17:00 GMT (UK) »
OK, I'm looking on freebmd.org [free as the name suggests  ;D], try also familysearch.org [free as well]. Do you know what religion the family were? Maybe able to find a baptism. Whoops should read the OP properly, sorry

Josey

ADDED - it may be that as the family were immigrants, they were less familiar with the registration system & only had a religious naming ceremony? Have you looked into Jewish records?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline .Martha.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
OK, I'm looking on freebmd.org [free as the name suggests  ;D], try also familysearch.org [free as well]. Do you know what religion the family were? Maybe able to find a baptism.

Josey

Cool thank you!!!! They were Jewish :)
Martha

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Could the name Home be an anglicised version of the original name & Barnett recorded as the original?

Josey

ADDED Where in Wales were they living in 1911?

Offline .Martha.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Could the name Home be an anglicised version of the original name & Barnett recorded as the original?

Where were the family living in 1911?

Josey

I think it's possible that Horne is Anglicised, I have heard from relatives that the original name could possible be HOREN or HOHN.

They were living in Pontlottyn, South Wales in 1911 (and they had lived they emigrated in the early 1900s,)

Martha

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

Using FreeBMD you can search for just the forename = Barnett.  And if you search year by year, you may find a surname you recognise.

I can see quite a few registrations, so not an unusual forename.  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
On the GRO website you can search GRO  online indexes using mother's maiden name - whether this is for a trial period or not I do not know. Perhaps just use forename as suggested by BumbleB & may need to use a few wildcards  in the maiden name ??? WIll need to register [free] first].

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

ADDED actually the surname is mandatory, so use the soundex option.