Author Topic: Welsh Quakers  (Read 1461 times)

Offline mutchall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh Quakers
« on: Friday 11 November 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor Jane Owen born circa 1823 at Meifod, Montgomeryshire. It's possible she was a Quaker. Would there be any problems searching the online collections at either Ancestry or findmypast? Such as, were any registers not properly sent to the registrar and thus not in RG6, or were some monthly meetings not proper in their record keeping etc. I've identified some missing images on findmypast for North Warwickshire meetings, not sure if the same is true for Wales.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Quakers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I have no experience of researching Welsh Quakers but have researched them in Ireland. My experience in Ireland is that it was routine to record births, deaths and marriages in the local male meeting house records but also to copy the same information to provincial headquarters. So there were 2 copies in 2 different locations. Thus when the local copies went missing (as they certainly did in Ireland) you can turn to the provincial HQ records and search there. Perhaps that system also applied in Wales.
Elwyn

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Quakers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello mutchall,

I have many Welsh Quaker ancestors and use The Genealogist [TG] a lot to locate them.  It is my experience Elwyn Soutter is correct.

I looked for Jane on TG given the specifications you provided without any results unfortunately.

Westy