Author Topic: Donald Cresswell in Sennen Cove  (Read 3528 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Cresswell in Sennen Cove
« on: Friday 11 November 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify a Donald Cresswell and his wife who were living in Peter's Cottage, Sennen Cove in the period 1951 to 1956. Is it possible for anyone to help me with who was living at the address during the period on the electoral rolls.
Cresswell was an actor and author of pulp thrillers, aged about 36 according to a Jamuary 1952 newspaper article reporting his disappearance from his home - and subsequent discovery a few days later.
I know that in 1950 he was living in Littlehampton in Sussex with a Lilian Cresswell/Leila Forde, actress and playwright who I assume to be his mother as she was born in 1895. He is again living with her in London around 1957 according to electoral rolls, then 'disappears'.
From his age the only suspect in the BMD records is a Donald Graham Cresswell, 1916-1976 - his death registration the only record I can find for him and thus no way of knowing if he is the Cresswell in Cornwall. Also no Donald Cresswell on 1939 register and his first reported stage appearance seems to be 1944.
Finding him on the electoral roll therefore could be the only way to identify him, perhaps with  amiddle name/initial and his wife's name - hopefulluy not Leila/Lilian!
ill be very grateful if anyone can help me with this puzzle.

Thanks
John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Cresswell in Sennen Cove
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Is this the death of 'Leila' Cresswell
Deaths Sep 1975   
Leila CRESSWELL   
born 12Feb 1895   
STEVENAGE    10   829

Probate Leila / otherwise Lilian Mary of 36 Gondar Gardens, London NW6.  Died 8th July 1975 Probate London.  The will may mention him and give an address  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:27 GMT (UK) »

From his age the only suspect in the BMD records is a Donald Graham Cresswell, 1916-1976 - his death registration the only record I can find for him and thus no way of knowing if he is the Cresswell in Cornwall. Also no Donald Cresswell on 1939 register and his first reported stage appearance seems to be 1944.

Is this the death you mean  :-\
Donald Graham Cresswell
Birth 8 Sep 1916
Death Registration   June qtr 1980
Age at Death   63
Reg   High Peak, Derbyshire
Vol 6 Page    1016

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that this is the Donald in Sennen Cove
Donald Rosslyn Cresswell
BIRTH 10 Oct 1928
DEATH      March qtr 2006 - Penzance, Cornwall

Possible birth from freebmd
Births Dec 1928 
Cresswell    Donald R    mmn Sisson   
Basford reg dist    7b   294

Marriage in Basford June 1917 between George Cresswell & Gertie Sisson

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
1948 - Donald and Leila Cresswell at 5 New Row in Covent Garden ward.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is moving slightly away from the original request, but on a whim I looked up Elfrieda Pearce on the 1939 register (she was living with Leila Cresswell at 36 Gondar Gardens on various electoral rolls).  Look for the one that gives a birth year of 1919, living in Oxford.  The transcription may give you some more answers about Leila.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 16 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is moving slightly away from the original request, but on a whim I looked up Elfrieda Pearce on the 1939 register (she was living with Leila Cresswell at 36 Gondar Gardens on various electoral rolls).  Look for the one that gives a birth year of 1919, living in Oxford.  The transcription may give you some more answers about Leila.

Good find  ;D  It is a shame that the actual image does not show all of the residents showing on the transcript or their birth dates, I have reported it as poor image

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 November 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper articles said aged 36, which seems a bit way out if he was born 1928. And Donald was on stage in the mid-1940s. No indication he was a child actor.

The Lilian Creswell he is living with before and after Cornwall is Lilian Mary Cresswell, 1895-1975 whose death is also registered as Leila Forde (her acting and play writing name) and Leila Cresswell. As with Donald no trace of her before 1940s though I believe she is the Leila Cresswell on 1939 Register born 1905 though with same birthday of 12 February. -original entry says Lilian Forde, crossed out and Lilian Cresswell added, as well as Leila. I say Lilian Cresswell though the black line hiding the line above partially hides what I assume to be Lilian. Register says she is single, but may be her status as the time. No idea of her origin/ maiden name - could be Forde? And what relation is she to Donald. Married, though with a 20 year age difference? Mother? or other relation.
I suppose it possible that the 1916 birth was outside the UK, somewhere where BMD records are not readily available.

Ah, Elfrieda Pullen is opening a new line. According to a family tree she was born Lilian Elfrieda  Ruth Mary Pullen 23 September 1919 to James William Pullen and his wife Lilian Mary, nee Lewis who according to a family tree has the same dates as Lilian Cresswell!
You may have found her but I need to do some work here.

Thanks
John