Author Topic: Margaret Bell  (Read 7452 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Bell
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 November 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 November 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Edward Carron and Agnes Bell had a daughter Honoria in August 1911:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01519/1616742.pdf

A Honoria Carron with the right location and father married Francis Newton in 1937:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1937/08904/5220142.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 November 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Edward Carron 1334 attested to the 3rd Btn Royal Dublin Fusileers 22nd Feb 1893
address 44 Upr Wellington St,Dublin or Castlebar Co Mayo age 18 ? a watchmaker in the employ of Mr Byrne 9 Trinity St

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iuj/

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 November 16 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks u wonderful people ;D
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline iplittle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Very nice to read all of the above.
I am a descendant of the same Little family who had a homestead in Darver, Louth from around the 1760s until 1880s or so. The last of the male Littles in that area was my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Little who died shortly after 1911 census and was living in Cuillenstown with his grandchildren (Reilly). I estimate that Mary Bell (nee Little) father was Michael Little, my 3rd great grandfather.

I was contacted yesterday evening by a gentleman in Australia who is a great grandson of Mary and William above. By this estimate he is a 4th degree cousin. My great grandfather Peter Little , son of Thomas Little of Darver (born 1851) left Darver for a career in the Irish Postal service from 1874 - 1912. He named his house in Serpentine Avenue , Ballsbridge "Darver" in honour of his love for his place of birth and rearing. I am interested in hearing from the relatives on this thread. I have many of the parish baptismal records from Darver. I also connected a branch of the Littles in Ardee to our Darver people via a marriage record and I have met some living relatives of those Littles who moved on to Pennsylvania in times close to the great famine.

Kind regards,

Ian Little

Offline Les Wellins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
My Name is Les Wellins , from Australia, I believe Margaret Bell was a sister to my Grandmother, Elizabeth Bell who's parents were  William Bell and Mary Little who came from Louth, Ireland. Should you wish to Contact me, my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline iplittle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Freya , Les

I am just replying to ensure that I have the 2 posts necessary to exchange private messages to allow contact between us relatives !

I've been in touch with Les via Facebook and now Skype.
I live in the West of Ireland now but I grew up in Dublin.
My great grandfather also used Castlebellingham from time to time in terms of his postal address.
I believe that was possibly because that was the "postal district" as opposed to Darver/Dromiskin.
Another area my father spoke about was Readypenny , which is a more contemporary name for a townland not far from where the Little homestead was.

I've got land records from the valuation office in Dublin which show the succession of leasors of the properties which the Littles farmed from around 1853 to the 1970s. The farm went out of Little leaseholding around 1880s when one of the inheritors, a James Little died and it passed to his wife who was Little by marriage but born Carroll. It then past to other people during the time when finally Catholics could actually opt to purchase the land which they were forbidden from owning due to the various Land repeal acts. Ironically the Littles and Bells started out life as Protestant religion which would have given them rights to own land. However , I believe they were only starting to be in a position to have such income in the late 1700s and then they independently converted. I suspect that in terms of marriage options they were closer in the social stratum to their Catholic neighbours and that's what resulted in them converting to Catholicism. We have a William Little on the 1766 Religious census as one of only 9 or 10 Protestants in Dromiskin area of Louth. Then in 1789 my 4th great grandfather William Little married Catherine Holdcroft in the Darver Catholic parish and all children henceforth were brought up in the Catholic religion.

Freya - lovely to hear from you - I will reply to your PM

Talk soon,

--Ian