Author Topic: Lest We Forget.  (Read 1249 times)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Lest We Forget.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 November 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
The Remembrance Day service at the church my wife and I attended yesterday was very moving and respectful. I had the honour of wearing my father's WW2 medals for the first time which made the whole thing even more meaningful for me.

We WILL remember them.

RRTB

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 November 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Derek if you look at the WW1 & WW2 In Memoriam pages there has been recent activity there.
The day you posted this topic, I was away in Edinburgh for my Birthday  and joined in the remembrance service  as the pipers made their way from the Castle and on to the Stone of  remembrance for the service...very moving it was too. So people may have been away from their computers for various events. We all remember those brave men and women in different ways.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Derek I only found your post this morning.

Others have expressed my own sentiments and I did post on the WW1 Board on Sunday.

I watched the Royal British Legion Service of Remembrance from the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday Evening and the Cenotaph service on Sunday morning. On Sunday evening we took part in our own Church's Service of Remembrance. All events were very moving as they are every year.

We will never forget those brave people who gave and are still giving their lives for our freedom.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello derekwg,

Have the responses helped? As I said, it wasn't clear at the beginning that you expected replies but it seems that people do want to remember and do so with good hearts.
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 20:30 GMT (UK) »
We always watch the ceremony at the Cenotaph on TV & observe the 2 minute silence. Last Sunday we had the grandchildren to stay & they were playing. I switched on the TV & and told them they had to be very quiet until they heard the big gun go off - & to our surprise they were completely silent for those 2 minutes! Not bad for a 2 & 4 year old. I'd like to think they will be doing the same thing when they're grown up.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Aw that's lovey Pat....how proud you must be of behaviour from such littles ones. I do find that the younger generation of today are far more aware of the significance of  Remembrance Day than when I was young.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
This stuff is also worth remembering, it was covered up for decades,

http://www.lalkar.org/article/2241/the-mutiny-at-etaples

Skoosh.

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra