Author Topic: Beecrofts in Blantyre  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Martin63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Beecrofts in Blantyre
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 23:17 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, John Beecroft, was born in Kilsyth in 1865, son of James Beecroft who was born in Hawick in c. 1844 and Sarah McNeil who were married in Glasgow in 1863. John Beecroft married Margaret Kilpatrick in July 1887 in Blantyre. By 1901 they had 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls.

John Beecroft's family moved to Lesmahagow in the 1900s and later Bo'ness, probably just before WW1. They were a mining family.

However John, the eldest, had several brothers and sisters according to the 1881 census -  Elizabeth born c.1868, Cecilia born c.1872, Isaiah born c.1874, Mary born c.1875 and James born c.1878. I'd like to try to obtain more information on them.

Anyone with information on the Beecrofts who stayed in Blantyre and the family in general please get in touch.

Martin

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beecrofts in Blantyre
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 07 17:58 GMT (UK) »
you may find this of interest my friend

1861 census; 21 greenhead street, bridgeton, glasgow

isaiah...head...age 53...stocking maker...born england
mary...wife...age 47...born hawick
james...son...age 18...coal miner...born hawick
cecilia...dau...age 16...cotton weaver...born glasgow
margaret...dau...age 13...born eng
mary...dau...age 10...born eng
isabella...dau...age 4...born eng

i believe that cecilia from this family married john mckay on the 31/12/1862 in bridgeton.

also found this

james alexander born to james and sarah, 2/1/1864 gorbals

cecilia born to james and sarah, 25/3/1872, kilsyth

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline jrt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 01:11 BST (UK) »
hope this is helpfull cecilia beecroft born25 march 1872 maried william lamond kirkton blantyre 1st april 1892 childern john,sarah,isabella, james, peter,wiliam. cecilia died 8th october 1952.i'm johns grandaugther he was acoal miner and moved to fife
lanarkshire, Lamond beecroft. Ross, McNeil, laird Lang ,,Scot ,McKay,reddiex struthers,Douglas Mullen turvey dunbartonshire johnston gunn Wilson nelson mcteer McCartney

Offline dixons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 August 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

(*) Beecroft is a direct descendent. He lives in (*) and can be found in the local telephone directory.

regards,

dixons

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline jrt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 August 08 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi oh wow! thankyou I wish i d started looking at my family sooner. do you know if it would be aceptable to get in touch? jrt
lanarkshire, Lamond beecroft. Ross, McNeil, laird Lang ,,Scot ,McKay,reddiex struthers,Douglas Mullen turvey dunbartonshire johnston gunn Wilson nelson mcteer McCartney

Offline dixons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
Should be OK. Write (*)

regards

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline dixons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
Oops! Thanks and apologies Moderator. I have sent Martin a personal message.

dixons

Offline wbol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have written 2 books about the local coal mines and coal mining families of Hamilton and Blantyre . There is a J. Beecroft from Auchinraith Colliery mentioned as being in the rescue teams at the 1887 Udston Pit disaster when 73 men and wee boys were killed. There is also a photograph of the unemployed miners from Blantyre and Hamilton marching to London during the great depression of 1929. Among the men in the photograph is a James Beecroft. The book is called Black Faces and Tackety Boots/ True stories from the coal mines of Lanarkshire. The Beecrofts appeared to take a very active part in local politics. Hope this is of some help.
W. Bol

Offline jrt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:37 GMT (UK) »
yes thankyou so much is the book available in bookshops at present?
                                           jrt