Author Topic: John Moffat, Annan  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Moffat, Annan
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cupcake

I guess you will also have seen the marriage record from the Dumfries OPRs for William Moffat of Annan and Christian Fraser dated 10 September 1796? If there is a Dumfries connection, could James and/or John have ended up there at some point?

ADD: Family Search record a John Moffat, born to William Moffat and Christian Fraser on 25 June 1815, baptised 29 June 1815 at Dumfries. Could this be the same family and could there be confusion in the relationships?

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cupcake

I guess you will also have seen the marriage record from the Dumfries OPRs for William Moffat of Annan and Christian Fraser dated 10 September 1796? If there is a Dumfries connection, could James and/or John have ended up there at some point?

ADD: Family Search record a John Moffat, born to William Moffat and Christian Fraser on 25 June 1815, baptised 29 June 1815 at Dumfries. Could this be the same family and could there be confusion in the relationships?

Ian

Yes, I have their marriage record from Scotlands People on Dumfries OPRs for William Moffat of Annan and Christian Fraser dated 10 September 1796. William MOFFAT had a brother John b. 9 March 1763  Ecclefechan.

Their son, James had a son John - as on James's death certificate 1857  the informant was signed by John MOFFAT, son.

Now that is interesting and I do not have this information regarding the John Moffat, born to William Moffat and Christian Fraser on 25 June 1815, baptised 29 June 1815 at Dumfries. It looks as if it could be the same family or, confusion in the relationships?

Thank you kindly for all the information. Now I am curious and confused  :-\ and where do I go from here?

ADD   William MOFFAT and Christian Fraser are definitely my GGG Grandparents.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had found my William MOFFAT buried in the Old Burial Ground, Annan but this one was married to a Janet IRVING.

MI for Old Burial Ground

In memory of Hannah MOFFAT daughter of John MOFFAT Blacksmith in Annan who died June1807 aged 10 months. William MOFFAT his son who died 20th November 1815 aged ....yrs. George MOFFAT his son who died 21st December,1815 1 year and 7 months. And Joseph MOFFAT his son who died 3 January 1848 aged 23 yrs. Also the above William MOFFAT who died 11th of January 1849 aged 64 years and Janet IRVING his wife who died 27 August 1854 aged 71yrs. Stone weathered

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman