Author Topic: Marriage James Anderson/Mary Dignan Feb 1851 St Mary  (Read 2918 times)

Offline scotty1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage James Anderson/Mary Dignan Feb 1851 St Mary
« on: Tuesday 15 November 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

I hope someone can point me in the right direction please. My 2 x great grandparents James Anderson & Mary Dignan were married in February 1851 in St Mary's, Limerick.

Can anyone think of any resources be it a marriage certificate, if they indeed were issued in 1851 or any other resource that may point me in the direction of their parents names or where they were born themselves believed to be somewhere around the 1830's

I do know they had children in the 1860's Thomas and John but there seems to be a fifteen year gap from marriage to first child which seems strange.

Mary Dignan in various documents is known as Dignan or Dignor, Dignen etc but I am working on the assumption that the inclusion in the St Mary's marriage register will be the most accurate unless informed otherwise.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as I have hit a brick wall.

I should add I have found the death of a Mary Anderson in Limerick in 1896 born circa 1833 and think this may be her, would her death certificate glean any information? and if so where would I order one.

Scott Anderson.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage James Anderson/Mary Dignan Feb 1851 St Mary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Mary Anderson a widow of Carey's Road died in Workhouse 1896 the informant was the occupier of the Workhouse
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/1b742b11904811

on the two childrens birth certs James is either a Tailor or Sailor curly T or S  ?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03435/2260964.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Death of a James Anderson 1875 born circa 1830 not yet viewable
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/acafd518139011

Offline scotty1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dathai,

That is absolutely fantastic. Would it be safe to assume then that I am going to struggle to find out where my 2 x great grandmother Mary Anderson nee Dignan was born? or any other information about James as without it on the marriage entry or the death certificate I am really going to struggle I think.

On Thomas's birth certificate who is the brother of my great granddad it shows place of birth and residence of parents...does that look like Patrickswell to you?

Thanks,

Scott.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:00 GMT (UK) »
yes it looks like Patricks Well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrickswell

most marriages took place in the brides parish as a general rule so the reason you are not possibly finding any more births is twofold
First civil registration for births did not start till 1864
Second though they married in St Mary's parish they probably did not live there after the marriage and so there are probably more baptisms in another Parish between 1851 and 1864.

Offline scotty1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:21 GMT (UK) »
That's great thanks dathai, if I could ask your opinion on one more thing...on the image is the birth of my great grandmother Elizabeth Quaid and it shows her mother as Elizabeth ??? would you say it is Hickey ? Nickey ? or something else ? your thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
sorry not with you for image for Elizabeth Quaide dont know what you are referring to.

heres where to search for more baptisms found John here 1865 right hand page 2536
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634929#page/59/mode/1up

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »

Offline scotty1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile