Author Topic: 1939 register- 5 million new records unlocked.  (Read 2840 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
1939 register- 5 million new records unlocked.
« on: Tuesday 15 November 16 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Have just noticed this on Find My Past....

"  Thanks to the work of the 1939 Register team, we've been able to successfully match and open over 5 million more records that were previously closed, and they're all available to explore right now. If you have tried unsuccessfully to find a family member in the Register who died after 1991, there's a very good chance you'll be able to now.

Findmypast is the only place online that gives you access to the 1939 Register, which is a responsibility we take very seriously. Accordingly, we've been working away behind the scenes to give you access to as many individual entries as possible.

As we've mentioned in the past, data protection law prevents us from opening the record of anyone younger than 100 years and a day and still alive. As the Register ceased to be updated in 1991, this meant a number of the records of people who have since died were closed, when legally they could be open. In addition, many deaths were never recorded in the Register, possibly due to the individual dying abroad or a number of other reasons. The records of these people would also be closed.

In order to open these records and give access to our users, we've cross-referenced the 1939 Register with the General Register Office's England and Wales civil registration death indexes, 1969-2006. Since this record set gives dates of birth, we can match individual deaths, where they are recorded, to the people in the 1939 Register, meaning we can now open these records. We took the decision to do this matching after we had launched so that both Findmypast and TNA were confident that the process was 100% accurate.

We're cross-referencing further records on an ongoing basis, and will have more open soon.

In addition, we're opening the records of those who pass the 100 years and a day threshold on a weekly basis, at a rate of around 30,000 per month. We'll be opening more records every week, so check back often! "
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register- 5 million new records unlocked.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just found my mother and her sister who died in 2009 and 2008 and also an aunt who died in 2013, but my father and his brothers, all dead by 1999, are still not open.

However, I've also found two aunts by marriage who were both 100 this year and very much alive and they are now open. The only way to have them closed is to submit their signature as on a passport or driving licence. I'm not sure what that would prove apart from the fact that they were alive when they applied for them!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hmm,

They haven't crossed referenced your aunts then groom.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

The records of two of my living relatives are open, whilst those of others in the same family who have died remain closed.

craggagh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 00:10 GMT (UK) »
It's maybe not such a bad thing as I'd love to see where my father was then but will have a long time to wait  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't think my aunts will be too bothered as after all it only shows where they were in 1939 and their married name. However that isn't really the point, as if they are going to refuse to open some records, even though relatives can confirm they have died, they also need to make sure that people over 100 are actually dead and not just assume that they are.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I've sent FindMyPast an email. However, I'm wondering whether, as because they are over 100, that under the 100 years rule, they can be opened any way. I'll post here if I get a reply.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I have just found the record for my father. As his death was in Edinburgh I was not expecting to find it until next year when he would have been 100 . Perhaps they have included deaths in Scotland as well as those in England and Wales.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
As we've mentioned in the past, data protection law prevents us from opening the record of anyone younger than 100 years and a day and still alive.

both Findmypast and TNA were confident that the process was 100% accurate.

Oh no it wasn't.  see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759287.msg6099603#msg6099603

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk