Author Topic: 1939 register- 5 million new records unlocked.  (Read 2844 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register- 5 million new records unlocked.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 12:47 GMT (UK) »
As we've mentioned in the past, data protection law prevents us from opening the record of anyone younger than 100 years and a day and still alive.

both Findmypast and TNA were confident that the process was 100% accurate.

That came from Find My Past's website so of course they were confident that the process was 100% accurate,or else how could they sell it to us at such high prices  ;D

Oh no it wasn't.  see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759287.msg6099603#msg6099603
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm.... I find FindMyPast's pride in sticking to data protection laws a little strange. I've seen records that have been un-redacted because the date of birth has been mis-transcribed - e.g. rows being mis-matched, or mis-read numbers (in one case, "29" i.e. 1929 being interpreted as 1879 due to unclear writing).

Still, I'm pleased that more records have been opened. I've been able to find out where my grandmother was evacuated to.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I've sent FindMyPast an email. However, I'm wondering whether, as because they are over 100, that under the 100 years rule, they can be opened any way. I'll post here if I get a reply.

Well I can't fault FindMyPast with the speed of their reply. It is as I guessed:

"    Dear Jan

Thank you for your email.

Records are closed because of the 100 year ruling made by the Information Commissioner.

The accepted assumption of 100 years for life means that records can be opened 100 years and 1 day from the date of birth of the individual.

Therefore, xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx records have be opened legally.

However, if they would prefer not to have their information made available in this way, we can certainly close their entries.

Please let us know what you would prefer. "

That seems very fair to me. Considering their age, they may as well stay open now.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
It still doesn't "unlock" the half dozen houses in the street where my mother + family were living which are absent from the register - they say those records are missing.  :-\ :'(
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 23:28 GMT (UK) »
It still doesn't "unlock" the half dozen houses in the street where my mother + family were living which are absent from the register - they say those records are missing.  :-\ :'(

I too have the problem in London where in a street in Ealing, numbers 814-840 are missing.
Three maiden aunts of an elderly friend of mine were living there.
Sadly my friend died 3 weeks ago aged 92,so she will never find out about her aunts- sad.

FindMyPast keep saying that they release they are missing and will update them soon......this started in March!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk