Author Topic: Birth of Mary Bridget Cullen, 1903, Enniscorthy  (Read 4066 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Mary Bridget Cullen, 1903, Enniscorthy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 November 16 08:46 GMT (UK) »
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 November 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Ah thank you Wexfordflyer
My grans sister was there 1901 so i wrote to Good Shepherd sisters and got a favourable reply seems to have been a good place to be as she went back to visit them in 1912 she was released at age 16 mid census to a farming family and i think at age 18 they had their own choice of where they wanted to go ,her niece even entered the same order as a nun.

so now trying to remember who i wrote to as you would need a bit of family background when writing to them.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 November 16 09:55 GMT (UK) »
For refrence the nuns also known as Magdelen Laundry
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ivf/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 November 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Was Mary Anne Cullen ever arrested?
Not having the prison registrars on FamilySearch anymore is so annoying.
The Petty Session would be worth a look as well, if the children were taken from her there must be a record somewhere.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 November 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer found the same Mary Cullen in the same convent school that I did in 1911.  Sorry, I am not sure how to provide links.  I don't believe that Mary Bridget was ever in prison or her mother Mary Anne nee Sheridan.
Although there were no adoption records in 1903, I am told that Mae was locally called American Mae in Enniscorthy and I have copies of letters that Mae wrote to Canada in 1961 and 1962 looking for her deceased mother's relatives. If Mary Anne was her biological mother, wouldn't those relatives have been in Ireland?
This may be an unsolvable mystery or then again, maybe a misunderstanding on Mae's part.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 November 16 13:01 GMT (UK) »
It may be an unsolvable mystery

Have you approached from the other side
Do you know who she wrote to?
Could there be someone in Canada who could enlighten your search?

My mother was brought up by her grandmother and they used to receive parcels from relatives in America which meant she was teased for wearing "Yank clothes"; perhaps something similar occurred if members of her Mother's family had emigrated? Just another thought.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 November 16 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello myluck,
I have approached it from the other side.  Mae was writing to the RCMP in Canada in 1961, looking for her late mother's family, specifically a man who was a surgeon with the Royal Northwest Mounted Police in 1913 and who died on Mayne Island in BC in 1935.  She doesn't give the believed relationship to this man.  I have talked to relatives of this man in Canada and they say they believe she was related but they don't know how. I was working on the how.
She also claimed that Michael O'Leary, Victoria Cross Winner, was her uncle and she was enquiring about his time in Canada as a Constable with the Mounted Police in Regina in 1913, before he returned to Ireland during wartime.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 November 16 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Mae was writing to the RCMP in Canada in 1961, looking for her late mother's family, specifically a man who was a surgeon with the Royal Northwest Mounted Police in 1913 and who died on Mayne Island in BC in 1935.  She doesn't give the believed relationship to this man.  I have talked to relatives of this man in Canada and they say they believe she was related but they don't know how. I was working on the how.
She also claimed that Michael O'Leary, Victoria Cross Winner, was her uncle and she was enquiring about his time in Canada as a Constable with the Mounted Police in Regina in 1913, before he returned to Ireland during wartime.

Is the man who died in 1935 related to the Michael O'Leary that was supposed to be her uncle? How much have you tried to trace the man's background to see if a connection is likely?
Have you found that Michael O'Leary was her uncle as claimed?
Since the relationship seems to be through her mother then that's the family you need to look into rather than the Cullen family.
With more details it's difficult to help you make connections to Canada, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 November 16 15:22 GMT (UK) »
After posting the above I found another thread where you give different information  :-\

I am getting back to my research on Mae McDonnell.  I did order her birth certificate, as well as her death certificate and the death certificate of her husband Richard. Also, her marriage certificate.  However, they didn't really help me.  Her parents are listed as John Cullen and Mary Anne Sheridan. I do have one lead that says Mae was raised by her aunt Kittie Leary.
I have also written to the Wexford Historical Society asking if there is an obituary for her and/or a will.
In the meantime, if anyone has access to her obituary, I would appreciate it. It may name some crucial relatives that will help me sort out her connection to the Davis and O'Leary families. In letters to Canada in the 1960s, she claims to be a cousin of  Christopher Harfield West, a Davis descendant, and to her uncle Michael O'Leary, Victoria Cross recipient.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!