Author Topic: Searching for a Baptism and Mother  (Read 5231 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for a Baptism and Mother
« on: Wednesday 16 November 16 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Peter Doyle was born circa 1828 and his Father was Thomas Doyle. From one of his children baptisms in Australia he stated he was from Begnalstown. There is a Thomas in the tithe applotments in the Townland of Gormena. The parish registers for Dunleckney are a shocker. From other sources can anyone see my Peters baptism anywhere near there please.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a Baptism and Mother
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
The TP image finally came up and Thomas is on the same line as a James Doyle

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 18:54 GMT (UK) »
The TP image finally came up and Thomas is on the same line as a James Doyle

Hi, is the Mother Judy or Judith and 1832 year of Baptism?
Maggsie

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 16 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you nolan01. Have started trawling, moving out from 1828. I wasn't being wossy over the parish registers, even the transcriber B Walsh has a lot of "illegible" for the 1828 year.
Alas "unknown". Where it should be  written  for Fathers occupation and Mothers  Forname and Maiden name is bracketed and "unknown" written. And it would have been my Great gran who was the informant. By 1899, one sister had died in Melbourne as a child, one sister had died after child birth and the other two sisters had returned to Melbourne.
While Peters age is consistent from his NZ death cert and the Melbourne birth cert I purchased he could well have been consistently wrong  ;D
 What and where did it happen, that you are you seeing Maggsie please?.
Can anyone tell be if the actual township of Begnalstown would have been covered by the TP's?
Peter was a carpenter. Not ALL Irish catholics can have been Farmers

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 16 10:34 GMT (UK) »
TP's?
Do you mean the Tithe Applotment books.
Only people with enough land to pay a tithe are listed. Anyone with less than 1(Irish) acre is not listed.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
A carpenter might only have had a yard and shed.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 16 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
What I saw was a Baptism record in rootsireland................
Gormna   Parish/District of BAGENALSTOWN
The Father was Thomas and the Mother Judith Farrell.
5th August 1832 for a James Doyle.
and
Catherine Doyle 1st March 1835.
I went to Ancestry and their records are from 1864.
It says records from 1620 to 1911 but only 1864 appear.
Could these be the siblings?
Maggsie

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 November 16 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sinann. Yes. I keep forgetting there is an A before pplotments. Thought it was something like that but have spent my time trawling thru 23 years of transcriptions. Glad that is not how you found Judy Farrell Maggsie. My eyes are nearly falling out. Certainly beats looking at the real things though, Fortunately there were not that many Thomas Doyles. Wives being 2 Judys, a Rose, a Bridgett ( there is always a Bridgett  ::) and a Mary that fall into the likelys. Now this set my memory clanging. Peter Doyle (it was him that was the carpenter. Thomas I dont know his job thanks to Great Gran not knowing) only had girls so it is hard to be sure but they started off at least naming the eldest girl in traditonal naming pattern. ie my great gran  was named after her maternal Grandmother and child number 2 was MARY Ellen, Had just decided to call it quits at 1843 and go looking for a townland map.
 Can anyone direct me to one that is going to show how far Ballywilliamroe is from Begnalstown. This is where Thomas and Mary nee Whitty were . Would be nice if it was Judith Farrell  though as Thomas and brothers James and Patrick have a tombstone.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 November 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
OK, where did you mention WHITTY?
aaarrrhhhh!
Bridget 1831, Catherine 1838, Sally 1841 (that would be Sarah) and Marian  1844(possibly Mary Ann)
then..............
Can anyone direct me to one that is going to show how far Ballywilliamroe is from Begnalstown.
Bagnalstown find that on the map and follow a road to the right R724 (coloured yellow) then as you pass Kilcarrig take the white road (this is classed as a lane) and you will bump into  Ballywilliamroe
It's just up the road you could walk it. I don't think the Church there was built until 1830, so if Peter was before then you would look in the nearer Parish.
I can't find Peter's Baptism, sorry
Maggsie