Author Topic: Searching for a Baptism and Mother  (Read 5236 times)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a Baptism and Mother
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Quick bit with local knowledge.
The present day town of Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag) is about 2 miles from Ballywilliamroe.The present RC parish of Bagenalstown is the same as Dunleckney RC Parish.
It has RC churches in Bagenalstown,Ballinkillen and Newtown.
Would think anyone living in Ballywilliamroe could have  been baptised in either Newtown or Bagenalstown church as its about equidistant from both.
The baptisms I linked to take in the three churches in the parish.
For anyone living in that general area the nearest other parish would be Myshall which joins Dunleckney/Bagenalstown near Ballywilliamroe.

Have you looked at Griffiths;

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Unclear from your post if all the family left Ireland so maybe have a look at Griffiths or maybe even the 1901 census for a clue or two.
Regarding the distances,locations etc Google maps should give a good indication.Easy for me as its where I live !!
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 November 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
The OSI Mapviewer is good as it has some old maps as well
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/
Use the search, the drop down lists, when you have the townland click on the 6"

This site is handy too
http://www.logainm.ie/en/

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 November 16 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the map info. Will go down to the village and hope the young ones have not chewed thru the librarys data cap with their movie downloading. Suggestions of buying more data get snarls of "librarys are for books" from the even older ones who manage it. Maps on my dial up take so long I would qualify to do a 2 hour stint as the librarian. I bite my tongue and dont ask them "what friggin century do they think this is?"
Thanks for the PM but unless it was an adult baptism too far out. I know they could  marry young back then but as Peter married in Mallow in 1851 and shipped out to Melbourne with wife and Greatgran in 1853 ( that family lore says she was 2 weeks old) But interesting that combo of Peter and Thomas. As you say Peter was not that common and Thomas only slightly more so. Starting to fear that he is one of the many illegibles in 1828. Having said that you should see the condition of our Treaty of Waitangi (1840) and that is meant to be the founding document of or nation.
Maggsie did not mention Whitty till after hours of trawling those trascriptions that noland01 put me on to. Hours ? See the above mention of my dial up speed  :(

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 November 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Broadband is working. Found a marriage in Dec 1827 ? Tom Doyle to Mary ?Godmond?. Have put a request in at writing deciphering.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 November 16 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, sorry.
Maggsie

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
TP's?
Do you mean the Tithe Applotment books.
Only people with enough land to pay a tithe are listed. Anyone with less than 1(Irish) acre is not listed.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
A carpenter might only have had a yard and shed.

Tithes were a tax on arable land. For example a farmer of an acre had to pay, but a farmer who had hundreds of acres of pastureland was not liable
jfch