Author Topic: QUEENS COUNTY PRISON  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: QUEENS COUNTY PRISON
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
This is what puzzled me, my Grandfather in 1876 was sent to Queen's County Gaol for assault, then 4 years later was sent to Maryborough in the same County, so would they have been interchangeably named, for the one Gaol?

Liam
I don't see why not, as those names are for the county and the town.  A county town in those days would have had the jail for the county - though a populous area would have had more.  A rural Irish county may only have needed one?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 November 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I was looking at the Registered Papers of the Chief Secretary http://www.csorp.nationalarchives.ie/index.html
There are a couple of letters about an attempted escape in 1819, the title in each case names Queens County Jail and the notes name Maryborough jail.
So it does appear to be the same jail by two names.
Anything before 1830 would be from Church Street, and after that from the 'new' prison on Dublin Road.

Doesn't explain why there are two different sets of records though.

Offline liamcornes1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 November 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I was looking at the Registered Papers of the Chief Secretary http://www.csorp.nationalarchives.ie/index.html
There are a couple of letters about an attempted escape in 1819, the title in each case names Queens County Jail and the notes name Maryborough jail.
So it does appear to be the same jail by two names.
Anything before 1830 would be from Church Street, and after that from the 'new' prison on Dublin Road.

Doesn't explain why there are two different sets of records though.

Thanks for your help.

Offline liamcornes1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 November 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
This is what puzzled me, my Grandfather in 1876 was sent to Queen's County Gaol for assault, then 4 years later was sent to Maryborough in the same County, so would they have been interchangeably named, for the one Gaol?

Liam
I don't see why not, as those names are for the county and the town.  A county town in those days would have had the jail for the county - though a populous area would have had more.  A rural Irish county may only have needed one?

Thanks for your help