Author Topic: Looking for descendents of George Henry Lay b 1889 Marylebone brother of Robert  (Read 388 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great-grandfather Robert Victor Lay was born in 1888 in Chelsea, London. He and his brother George Henry (b 18889, Marylebone) were actually born under the name Bloomfield and their father was George Bloomfield but were adopted by Walter Lay when he married their mother Ruth Ellen Bloomfield, nee Bellward in 1892.Looking for descendants of George Henry Lay b 1889 Marylebone brother of Robert

My great-grandfather Robert Victor Lay was born in 1888 in Chelsea, London. He and his brother George Henry (b 1889, Marylebone) were actually born under the name Bloomfield and their father was George Bloomfield but were adopted by Walter Lay when he married their mother Ruth Ellen Bloomfield, nee Bellward, in 1892.
My grandfather was bought up by his grandparents when his father died in 1918 and he partly lost contact with his brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles. For this reason my great-grandfather Robert Victor Lay has always been a bit of a mystery figure and because he died such a long time ago. Also his widow remarried (to John Ryan) and her home was bombed during WWII and she lost all her possessions including any family photographs.

I have recently done some research on his brother George and discovered that he married Annie Raper in 1908. He briefly worked as a carman for the Anglo Oil Co before joining the army for a year, then he worked with his brother for the LNWR at Camden as a carman. He signed as a soldier in the great war and suffered an injury to his hand where he lost a finger. He spent some time in prison due to absconding during  the war and I have just discovered that he got into trouble with the place after the war and spent more time in prison. His job after the war was described as a general dealer. He carried on living in the Chalk Farm/Kentish Town area  all his life.

He had at least two children, George and Frederick, and possibly others later. He died in 1953 and his wife about ten years later. I am looking to find any of his descendants who may have memories of George and his brother Robert. I get the impression that because they had a different father to their siblings that they spent a lot of time together and were quite close until Robert died in 1918. It would also be nice to see any photographs of George and Robert and other Lay family members because as I said any my family had were sadly lost.

If anyone can help with memories of the Lay family I would be very grateful.
My grandfather was bought up by his grandparents when his father died in 1918 and he partly lost contact with his brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles. For this reason my great-grandfather Robert Victor Lay has always been a bit of a mystery figure and because he died such a long time ago. Also his widow remarried (to John Ryan) also her home was bombed during WWII and she lost all her possessions including any family photographs.
I have recently done some research on his brother George and discovered that he married Annie Raper in 1908. He briefly worked as a carman for the Anglo Oil Co before joining the army for a year, then he worked with his brother for the LNWR at Camden as a carman. He signed as a soldier in the great war and suffered an injury to his hand where he lost a finger. He spent some time in prison due to absconding during  the war and I have just discovered that he got into trouble with the place after the war as well and spent more time in prison. His job after the war was described as a general dealer.

He had at least two children, George and Frederick, and possibly others. He died in 1953 and his wife about ten years later. I am looking to find any of his descendants who may have memories of George and his brother Robert. I get the impression that because they had a different father to their siblings that they spent a lot of time together and were quite close until Robert died in 1918. It would also be nice to see any photographs of George and Robert and other Lay family members because as I said any my family had were sadly lost.

If anyone can help with memories of the Lay family I would be very grateful.