Author Topic: Linux family history, anyone?  (Read 1584 times)

Online Rosie (MaccHistorian)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Linux family history, anyone?
« on: Wednesday 16 November 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Having just been given a Linux laptop, I thought I would give it a try before admitting defeat and buying windows for it!

It has a Firefox browser (would rather use Chrome but it's not available for 32-bit), Open Office, I can get a Linux version of Dropbox; but no family history programme.

I see I can install something like VirtualBox, but I understand I need a copy of Windows to run that, which rather defeats the object; if I have to buy Windows then I may as well install it on the laptop and run everything in Windows.

So, it seems my options are to use a Linux family tree program, or try running a Windows emulator/compatibility program like Wine and then run my Windows family history program within that.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks.
Spridgeon/Spridgen etc, Peterborough area; Lowing, London, Yorkshire and Hong Kong; Bull, Suffolk

Researcher for Cheshire Memorial Roll website, Macclesfield area WWI casualties

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linux family history, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Some time ago I successfully ran RootsMagic using Wine but not sure if the newer versions will work. You could try the free version of RM to find out.

I also tried GRAMPS on Linux, which was ok but I had been using RM for some years and much preferred that.

Depending on the age of the laptop, you might have problems with drivers if you try to install Windows 10.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
GRAMPS is a family tree program that was designed for Linux and is completely free. See https://gramps-project.org/
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 16 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm using Linux mint with Firefox (and sometimes chromium) and have all my genealogy on Gramps. Very happy for what I want it for, although I think I probably don't use many of the available features.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »

I would echo Mike175's comment - unless it is a relatively new laptop then you might have problems with Windows 10. I'm assuming that as someone has given it to you and it is already running Linux then it may not be the most up to date. Many people use Linux on equipment which is no longer capable of running Windows productively.

Another issue I'm aware of is incompatibility between Windows 10 and various periphials like printers and scanners, one website I use regularly often has printers or scanners being given away because the owner has upgraded to Windows 10 and no driver is available for the old printer/scanner etc, but this mainly seems to be an issue with the 64 bit version.

One possibility to consider (if physical space is not an issue) is to run two computers. That is the approach I've adopted as I wanted to continue using various windows programmes, especially for family history. I have also been very uncomfortable with the idea of having all my family data on an internet connected computer.

It won't suit everybody, but as I type this I'm working on an old laptop running Lubuntu and Firefox, connected to the internet and searching various family history websites, whilst next to me is a relatively old Windows XP desktop which has all my family history data on it.

One advantage of this approach is being able to see the information I already know about someone at the same time as entering information into website searches and looking at the results. It cuts down on the need to switch between windows! It is also invaluable when it comes to transcribing details from online images, almost as good as having two monitors.

The website I mentioned above - Freecycle - often has good working windows XP/Vista desktop pc's being given away, so if you have the space it is an easy and low cost way to set up a family history computer offline. I say offline because running Windows XP on an internet connected computer is becoming increasingly risky and difficult as support and updates are withdrawn. The only hassle is the need to use a usb stick or similar to transfer data between computers.

If you are considering buying a copy of Windows then it is worth considering going a bit further and just buying a new laptop, as the cost of Windows 10 is significant compared to the cost of a new laptop which will come with a 'free' copy already installed.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 17:14 GMT (UK) »
And from a different thread, it seems Robert has got RootsMagic working with WINE...

What I like about these forums is how answers can come over the years. I did buy RootsMagic 7 but don’t particularly like it for my purpose. It does not actually import the finds unless there has been further updates. I have it installed on my Windows machine. I now run Linux since the disaster of Windows 10. I will give RootsMagic a plug in that it will install on Linux using WINE. Best way is take the easy way and install with Crossover.
Your post and mine should have bumped this up so more people with see.

Robert…..

Offline corieltauvi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Although I tend to use Gramps for storing my genealogy information I do have Roots Magic 7 and the Complete Genealogy Builder running in Linux. I gave up on most other software as it's tedious to get it working. The software I have was installed using Play on Linux which is a front-end for Wine and seems to make it quite easy to install (when the software works). I mostly use Roots Magic as it gives a (rather too long) list of the errors in my research. If you have old disks for Microsoft Office Play on Linux makes installing that fairly easy as well.

If you have a Windows programme that you really like then check winehq.org to see if other people have had success installing it using wine.

I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu 16.10 and most of my research is done using a webtrees based website online.

Torven
Burgoyne
Gorwyn
Zeffertt
Young (Nottingham)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 17 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Rather late to reply but for anyone using Linux, these are some of the open-source/free options that run natively rather than using 'Wine'. There are a few other paid-for programs. The first three are browser based - they can be used to generate/edit/share a website online but can also be used just on your own computer. Most desktop programs allow you to export your data to a website format but that's for the display of data only whereas these programs allow you to edit your data just like a desktop app.

Webtrees (https://www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/)
Runs in a web server, whether that's on the net or just on your computer. I've used this extensively for the last four years (on my own PC, not as an online site) and it's rock solid. Does pretty much everything that desktop programs do. Install XAMPP (the web server package) on your computer, start the server then start Webtrees. Much easier than it sounds. Frequent updates, excellent community support.

Humogen (http://www.humogen.com/)
Works in a similar way to Webtrees. Reliable, but the interface, especially when editing, is a bit klunky.

Geneweb (https://geneweb.tuxfamily.org/wiki/GeneWeb)
Another browser based program that comes with its own server so it runs on your own computer. Requires some technical knowledge, not as comprehensive or as easy to use as the above two.

Desktop programs:

Gramps (https://gramps-project.org/)
Well-established, well supported and frequently updated. A comprehensive program that adheres to the gedcom standard. Has great reports, charts and a website builder. I used it for about a year but I find the interface much too 'busy' with too many dialogs and experienced frequent crashes, although my data was always intact.

GenealogyJ (http://genj.sourceforge.net/)
I was involved with this project for a couple of years but it is now dead, or at least totally dormant!. It works but still has a few minor issues and the interface is a little odd in places when it comes to inputting data.

Ancestris (http://en.ancestris.org/index.php?title=Main_Page)
This is a fork, or continuation of GenealogyJ in a slightly different direction. Still very much in development, tiny team and community but may get there one day.

There are a few other programs for Linux - try Google with Geneaquilts (for something different!) or Wintree for example.