Author Topic: COLLINS and COLLINGS men from England for genetic study  (Read 742 times)

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
COLLINS and COLLINGS men from England for genetic study
« on: Thursday 17 November 16 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

My name is Susan Barretta and I am the administrator of the Collins DNA project. The project is run through Family Tree DNA and is an entirely volunteer effort.

At the end of every year is a test sale, and I take that opportunity to offer a Y test scholarship. The funds come mainly from me, in an effort to improve and expand the project. I am looking for men named COLLINS or COLLINGS *in* or *from* the British Isles, actively involved in their local genealogical and historical societies, who know unequivocally the origin of their COLLINS line in England, down to the specific village or local area, to roughly the late 18th century or earlier.

COLLINS and COLLINGS men interested in a free 37 marker Y test should possess the following qualities:
- active in local historical and family history societies
- curious about the ancient peoples who settled the British Isles, in prehistoric and early historic times
- interested in enhancing their paternal line research with a genetics component
- likes the idea of their test results helping Collinses in the British Isles diaspora trace their roots back to the British Isles
- willingness to share lineage / family history and test results with the project
- willingness to allow results to be published and discussed in any future project promotional efforts
- ability to read some basic information, follow some written instructions, and fill out some forms, which can be done online

If your family history is prepared in a way for me to review, this should take at most a few hours. I can assist with any test account setup, preparation of a GEDCOM file if necessary, etc.

You are known only by your sample number, test results, and family history. Your name and contact information are NEVER publicly revealed. Your family tree will be visible to anyone who matches you - optionally we can publish your lineage or family history online if you would like to.

I am particularly interested in some names / areas out of the Domesday book, namely Collung of Steel from Hodnet, Shropshire; Colne, father of Edric in Derbyshire; Colwin the Reeve in Devon; and Culling the Burgess in Suffolk. 

If you can trace your COLLINS lineage back to about that time and show me through documentation, you could potentially hit the free DNA test jackpot (111 markers).

The project site at Family Tree DNA is here:
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/collins/about

The Collins project website is here:
http://collins.dnagen.org/

Please contact me if you are interested. My email is published on those websites. THANK YOU!

P.S. You'll find my old posts mainly on the Ireland / County Cork forum. I took over the Collins project in 2014/5 and am looking to expand it. I also manage two other Ireland surname projects.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish