Author Topic: Thomas Loughlin  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Loughlin
« on: Thursday 17 November 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Am I missing something? I have been working my way through the Ireland GRO records for my great grandparents and their children and everyone was present and correct until I got to the second youngest Thomas Loughlin. Thomas can be found with his mother in Sion Mills in 1901  giving a birth year of 1894. Sadly Thomas died in 1910 death registered by his sister, Bella. The puzzle is however the only Thomas Loughlin I can see in 1894 has a mother Lizzie Loughlin. The place is right Stoneyfalls and the father is right, Robert but the mother is wrong. So is this the right Thomas if so who is Lizzie? If it is wrong then where is Thomas's birth? As a ps I believe the father Robert died in 1900 the death registered by his brother.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Loughlin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
On one of mine the mother's maiden name is incorrect, not even close, everything else is correct and the father was the only person in that townland by that name.
I suspect the mother got someone else to register the birth pretending to be her and she messed up giving her own maiden name.

Maybe their daughter registered the birth.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 16 22:47 GMT (UK) »
The birth was registered by the father Robert although there was a sister Lizzie who would have been twelve or thirteen at the time.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
"......everyone was present and correct until I got to the second youngest Thomas Loughlin. Thomas can be found with his mother in Sion Mills in 1901  giving a birth year of 1894......"

but you're not going to say what the mother's name on Census is!

"..father Robert died in 1900 the death registered by his brother" Lizzie could be brother's wife??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 November 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 November 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes i appreciate Loughlin in general is very common and Robert Loughlin in particular is common with a lot of intermarriage which makes me very apprehensive of making definitive statements about the family. No I do not think it is the right Thomas either so where is the right one? I had a look for this other family (Robert, Lizzie & Thomas) on the census and on the GRO but did not have much luck. It may remain a mystery not that important in the scheme of things just wondered why I couldn't find his birth.   

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »

What looks like Thomas' baptism on 6 May 1894 (Drumclamph parish) gives a date of birth of 24 March, mother Catherine, address Stoneyfalls.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 November 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/fa535a1282404
That Thomas Laughlin born 23 Feb.1894 according to birth registration.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 November 16 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I am confused. Where are you getting the Baptism from Gaffy? Catherine as the mother is correct but Drumclamph is new to me. The Loughlin’s I thought where in Urney Church of Ireland (Aitchisons (Catherine) Ardstraw Presbyterian). Is Stoneyfalls in Drumclamph Parish? 
When I look at your link Aghadowey it only takes me to the search where I get the Thomas son of Robert and Lizzie? Are you finding another Thomas? 
Thanks for taking the time to look at this.