Author Topic: Thomas Loughlin  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Loughlin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
From your first post I got the impression only the mother's first name was incorrect.
Can you confirm the full maiden name of the mother.
Is it Catherine Aitchison as aghadowey posted above?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 November 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Drumclamph Parish Church is Church of Ireland-
http://derryandraphoe.org/drumclamph-with-clare-langfield-lower-langfield-upper

Drumclamph townland-
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/strabane-lower/ardstraw-strabane-lower-portion/drumclamph/

I reposted the link for Thomas Laghlin's birth already found to highlight the birthdate which is different from the baptism record that gaffy found.

Stoneyfalls townland is in Ardstraw civil parish-
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/strabane-lower/ardstraw-strabane-lower-portion/stoneyfalls/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 November 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of baptisms where the parents are given as Robert and Catherine (sometimes Catherine Anne) Laughlin and the address is given as Stoneyfalls: Robert John in 1879; Eliza in 1881; Samuel in 1884; Isabella Mary in 1887; Rebecca Emily in 1890; Margaret in 1892; Thomas in 1894 as previously posted; and Anne Catherine in 1896. They are all recorded as having taken place in Drumclamph parish.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 November 16 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your work. So Gaffy has found the baptism but for some reason it is not on the civil records. Yes Sinnan Catherine Anne Aitchison is the mother. I believe Robert the fathers parents where Robert and Margaret both Loughlin or Laughlin.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 December 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Just re-visiting the Loughlins again and members were so helpful last time I thought I would cheekily ask again to find a missing record. I said previously I thought Themas’s father and my great grandfather died in 1900 but this can not be right as the record says widower. Robert Loughlin’s youngest child Annie was born in 1896 at Stoney Falls. In the 1901 census the family minus Robert are in Sion Mills. So I presume he had died between these dates. Robert was of full age when he married Catherine Aitchison in 1876 so He would have to be born prior to 1855 ( if I am right thinking full age is 21) I can only see three death records for a Robert Loughlin in Strabane in the time frame, the one in 1900 which has Robert as a widow, one in 1898 with an age of 37 so too young and one 1895 again 37 giving a year of birth around 1858, if full age is 18 this might be a possible however my problem is place of death is given as Sion Mills. Could he have died in Sion Mills still residing in Stoney Falls or is like Tomas’s birth the dearh of Robert is just not on the civil records?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked Irish Genealogy site for death of Robert L*ghl*n 1895-1900 which would hopefully cover most spellings of the surname?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is where I was getting my three from. Thanks.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »

... I can only see three death records for a Robert Loughlin in Strabane in the time frame, the one in 1900 which has Robert as a widow, one in 1898 with an age of 37 so too young and one 1895 again 37 giving a year of birth around 1858 ...

I wouldn't rule out the 1898 death just yet, age could be all over the place back then, I've seen worse.  The following looks like a candidate for the informant in that death registration (ie. brother Samuel Laughlin of Tullywhisker):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Altaclady/Tullywhisker/1750999/

That 1901 Samuel married an Ellen Acheson (maybe a cousin to Catherine Anne?) in 1873, his father was given as Robert:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1873/11261/8130464.pdf

For comparison, Robert Laughlin's marriage to Catherine Ann Atchison in 1876:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11157/8087261.pdf

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gaffy I’ve had conversations with a descendent of Samuel and Ellen over the years and they.have so many shared names of children with Robert and Catherine that I was sure that they were brothers and suspected like you that Ellen and Catherine were cousins. It was just that age discrepancy which was putting me off. The Robert who died in 1900 is Samuel’s father.