Author Topic: JOHN LOWERY HANNA  (Read 2173 times)

Offline JARRO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN LOWERY HANNA
« on: Friday 18 November 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
JOHN LOWERY HANNA – Dromara, Ireland/Canada.
 Born 4 Dec 1889 Dromara, Co. Down, Ireland to Samuel Hanna & Mary Christina Gibson. There is a record of him – ‘Hanna John L’. – Age 35, on board SS Aurania sailing from Belfast on 21 Mar 1925 - Arriving Halifax, Canada on 29 Mar 1925. The destination is given as REGINA, SASK.
Could anyone advise me how I could further my search for him, in particular information on his death and burial.
Best regards
JORRO

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN LOWERY HANNA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
You didn't mention your John  having a wife  ??? This particular John L Hanna born Crumcrea  ??? Northern Island was married - wife Mrs Hanna - Garvaghey Banbridge County Down. Going to friend H lisburn - Regina Saskatchewan.

Is the transcription crumcrea - drumcree perhaps ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
John Lowry HANNA from Aughnaskeagh townland Dromara parish County Down married Georgina MARTIN from the neighboring townland of Enagh, Garvaghy parish County Down on 4 Apr 1911.  His father's name was given as John, not Samuel.
I think he may have lied about the friend he was going to in Regina since Lisburn is a placename he would have known and not a family name, e.g., none found in 1921 Canada-wide census.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
John L Hanna in 1901 census of Aughnaskeagh township, father Samuel.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000700314/

Offline JARRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 16 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Greetings
I've just been able to view the original marriage record held by Garvaghy Presbyterian Church which gives the date of marriage as 4 Apr 1911. The bride Georgina Martin has her father recorded as ROBERT. John Lowery Hanna's father's name is not recorded on the entry.
John's birth record in GRONI - U/1889/35/1006/7/312 - gives his father as Samuel Hanna of Aughnaskeagh.
 According to the baptismal records and family information John and Georgina had at least two daughters, none of which followed John to Canada.
 The name - CRUMCREA - I think this may be an error as it does not exist in Co. Down.
 Any suggestions on how I might further my search for John's death and burial details?
 Best regards JARRO

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately there are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.  The latest available Canadian Census is 1921   As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 85 years ago and deaths 70 years ago. Sometimes by using newspaper announcements, cemetery records, obituaries, telephone directories, we can get more up to date information and it is possible to trace families forward with  http://www.canada411.ca/
The middle name might have helped but unfortunately there is nothing showing in Canada Voters Lists to positively identify your John Hanna.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JARRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 16 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your time and effort, it's much appreciated.
I think my next move is to try the surviving family members in Co. Down again and see if I can glean any snippets of information which may help.
In the mean time I'm hoping someone might come across this request and be able to help.
Best regards JARRO
   p.s.   --  love the poppies 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Could there have been any other family members or near relations that had immigrated to Canada ?

Sandra

Offline JARRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 16 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Not sure of any other family members in Canada, but a good question to ask the family members in Co. Down when I get to speak to them.
Many thanks JARRO