Author Topic: Stewart/Stuart of Convoy and surrounds  (Read 1212 times)

Offline AnnStewartBurns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewart/Stuart of Convoy and surrounds
« on: Friday 18 November 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping to break through my brick wall.  My great grandfather Samuel Keatley Stewart was baptized in 1855 in the Carnone Presbyterian Church in Convoy.  I've been able to find his parents and siblings, and I believe the family lived at various times in Corradooey, Cloghroe and other townships. My brick wall is Samuel's grandfather, James Stewart.  His death took place in Corradooey around 1884 (have to consult my notes) and based on the DC, he was born around 1797.  I have no idea where he was born and I've not been able to locate his wife nor confirm his children other than my great grandfather, William Stewart, b. 1831 who married Mary Anne Keatley in 1853. I only know that William was born in 1831 from his marriage certificate.  I can't find a birth certificate.  Another part of this story: I know from the Stewart project at FTDNA that my family descend from the Bute branch of Stewarts via Robert II's son, Sir John, Sheriff of Bute.  I also know this line left Bute for Ireland and formed the Ballintoy Stewarts.  I do not know though if my own ancestors were in Ballintoy prior to Donegal.  A lot of Donegal Stewarts are not from the Robert II branch but instead the Galloway Stewart branch if his helps at all.  That said, there were a lot of Stewarts in this particular area, Convoy, and I think many of them could be related to my family as cousins etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart/Stuart of Convoy and surrounds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AnnStewartBurns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the links.  I appreciate it.  I've contacted the Carnone church in the past and they were able to confirm my great grandfather and his siblings baptismal records but unfortunately didn't have much more than that.  Thanks though.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
donegal resources

http://donegalgenealogy.com

then come down page and click on Convoy or Donaghmore

Carnone Prebyterian Church is in Parish of Donaghmore

say some Stuarts were Pew Holders

a lot of Keatley mentioned.