Author Topic: Daniel Mosman - Longhoughton Area c1716 - c1781  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Daniel Mosman - Longhoughton Area c1716 - c1781
« on: Friday 18 November 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone else researching this family, or the name in the Longhoughton area?

Daniel was born around 1716, had three wives and a number of children (in the PR's on FamilySearch/FreeReg/BT's for Northumberland etc), he is often listed as being of "Bowma or Boomer" which I think is probably Boulmer, this is what I have so far:

First wife:  Ann Wright, married 24 May 1741, child Ann bn and died in 1741, can't find a death record for Ann snr.
Second Wife: Isabel Robson, married 12 Nov 1743, can't find any children yet, or a death record
Third Wife: Elizabeth Smith, married 24 May 1755.  Children Mary 1755, James 1756 (my line), Daniel 1759, Elizabeth 1762, Jane 1764 and Elenor 1766 who may be the Eleanor Mosman who died in Berwick in 1824, single and aged 57.

I have info on James Mosman going forward (he turned up in Ponteland) and some of his children, but nothing on his siblings apart from Elenor (possibly).  And what happened to Daniel snr and his wife Elizabeth, where did they go?  There is a reference on the NBI for Northumberland for a Daniel Mosman in 1781 but I don't have the ability to view more details, does anyone have access?

There is another Mosman line in Eglingham, that at this point, aren't connected, but as it's an unusual surname they might well be somewhere down the line!

Other name variations are Musman and Mossman.
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Lancashire - Stirrup, Molyneux, Rudd, Golding
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
Berks - Cruttwell, Bunce, Batten
IOW - Roach, Robinson
Cornwall - Doney, Gumb, Goyne
S Wales - Thomas, Dickinson (via Cumbria)
Coastguard Families: Clark, Fuller, Grant

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Mosman - Longhoughton Area c1716 - c1781
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
All buried Longhoughton

Ann Mossman sr buried 6 Mar 1741, wife of Daniel Mosman of Bowmar
Ann jr. buried 3 Apr 1741 daur of Dan Mosman or Bowmar

Isabel wife of Daniel Mossman buried 19 Aug 1751, of Long Houghton

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Janis, thanks for the info, looks like I have the wrong marriage date, or my contact does (an older lady who visited the archives on a trip to the UK 27 years ago and "wrote it all down".

What are you using to get the info?  I'd like to put a reference on my tree and "a nice lady from Rootchat" isn't going to cut it, lol!
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
My information is from a typed version of Longhoughton Parish records 1646-1812.  It was originally compiled by Maxwell Wood and as it is a transcript there is room for error however this guy was pretty diligent in writing as it was.  You may have to see if someone could look at the actual parish record to confirm.  I do not live in the area.  You might ask c-side on this site to have a look.  She goes to Woodhorn just about every week.  Not hard when you have the dates to go by.   

I have an ancient map of Northumberland framed on the wall.  Bowmer is just southeast of Longhoughton and on the coast.

Baptisms:

Ann Mosman baptized 5 Mar 1841, daur of Dan Mosman, Herd, of Bowmar

Mary Mosman baptized 24 Aug 1755 dar of Daniel Mosman, of Long Houghton
James Mosman baptized 14 Jan 1756 son of Daniel Mossman, of Long Houghton
Daniel Mossman baptized 11 Jul 1759 son of Daniel Mossman, of Long Houghton
Elizabeth Mossman baptized 4 Jul 1762 daur of Daniel Mossman, of Longhoughton
Jane Mossman baptized 3 Jun 1764 daur of Daniel Mossman, of Long Houghton
Eleanor Mossman baptized 2 Mar 1766 daur of Daniel Mossman, of Longhoughton
Marriages:
Daneil Mosman and Ann Wright, both of Boomer in this parish married 24 May 1841..  There is an entry for a marriage on the 1st of May so I don’t think the month is incorrect

Daniel Mossman and Isabel Robson, of Seaton House, 12 Nov 1743

Daniel Mosman and Elizabeth Smith, both of this parish by banns 24 May 1755 by W. Forster, vic.  Wit:  William Purvis (freq witness) and Thomas Smith

Burials:   This transcript is a little strange for those 1841 burials.  The months after Feb were Mar then there is an April then a March again then the year changed to 1742 and the first entry is Apr

Elizabeth Mossman, daur of Daniel Mossman, of Longhoughton4 Apr 1763

This was the last Mosman/Mossman entry in the deaths to 1812.  In Lesbury there was a Grace Mossman of Bilton buried 10 Feb 1822.  On  later indexes Longhoughton, Lesbury and Howick are on the same set.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
An online version of the Maxwell Wood transcripts are available here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ivl/

The Parish Registers 1696-1940 are also available online at familysearch but you need to be signed in at a family history centre to view them.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Happy to check any of the transcripts against the PRs if you wish - just let me know which ones.

Christine

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 16 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I checked out the confusing marriage and burial dates in the Longhoughton PRs.

The marriage is correct as 1741 but the burials should read 1742.  We were still using the year end of 25th March back then so, to be accurate, the transcript should read 1741-42 (1741 for what it was then and 1742 for the current interpretation).  I am at a loss to understand why the April burial should have been affected by this though  :-\

Christine

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 December 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello All and thanks very much for the help and the offers!  I've not been online in a while so I'm just catching up with the thread and wanted to say thanks!
Surrey - Palmer
IOW - Roach, Robinson