Author Topic: Minnie Hosler Saunderson  (Read 1522 times)

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Minnie Hosler Saunderson
« on: Friday 18 November 16 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Minnie Hosler Saunderson was born 3rd June 1885. In 1891 she was living with her Grandparents, Stephen & Charlotte Saunderson, in Landbeach Cambs. In 1887 S & C 's daughter, Mary Ann Saunderson married Joseph Hosler, in Landbeach. Their daughter, Mary Elizabeth Hosler was born in 1888  and she married Arthur Summers in 1919.

Minnie Hosler Saunderson was living in Impington when she died in 1954 and the probate shows her estate left to Mary Elizabeth Summers.   Are you still with me?

Are Minnie and Mary Elizabeth sisters?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Hosler Saunderson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 16 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Minnie Hosler Saunderson was living in Impington when she died in 1954 and the probate shows her estate left to Mary Elizabeth Summers.   Are you still with me?
Do you mean that Mary Elizbeth Summers administered Minnie Hosler Saunderson's estate rather than inherit it?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
To know whether they were sisters you would need a copy of Minnie's birth cert.

If it only shows Mary Ann's name as the mother you can only be sure they were half sisters.  She may even be the daughter of a different Saunderson daughter.  The middle name Hosler would suggest Joseph may have been her father but given the 2yr gap between her birth and her mothers marriage you have no proof without the birth cert.

The fact she is not living with Joseph and Mary Ann in 1891 does not help either

Perhaps buying a copy of the will may show the relationship between the 2 women
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 16 18:31 GMT (UK) »
and the probate shows her estate left to Mary Elizabeth Summers.

No it doesn't - according to  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills it just says that Mary Elizabeth Summers (widow) was granted administration which means there was no will
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 November 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the probate, but it did give me Mary Elizabeth Summers. I agree that they are more likely to be step sisters, although it is intriguing that her middle name was Hosler. I couldn't find Minnie after 1891.... not until 1949 when she bought a house in Impington. She died a spinster.

Bob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Birth registration as Minnie Hosler Saunderson-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2XG4-315

1891 census seems to show Minnie HOSLER as grand-daughter of Stephen & Charlotte Saunderson-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WM7N-VPZ

1901 census Minnie Sanderson with grandmother Charlotte-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS3B-FF9

If she was illegitimate then a baptism record might record father's name.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 November 16 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I agree that they are more likely to be step sisters,

If they shared the same mother but not the same father they would be half sisters

If Mary Ann was her mother  and Joseph Hosler was father to both then they were full sisters

If Joseph was her father but another female Saunderson was her mother then - again - they were half sisters

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 November 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both. It is interesting that, after a somewhat dubious entry into this world, Minnie was a school teacher at 16, while at the same time living in the pub with her grandmother; in 1939 she was a housekeeper and in 1949 she bought a house. Never married. In 1954 she departed this world leaving a not insubstantial amount in probate. Quite a lady.

Back to the beginning .......  Joseph had a brother, so all options are open. When I have some time I will go to the records office in Cambridge and look in the Landbeach parish records and see what I can find.

Thanks again

Bob

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 November 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Why not just buy a copy of her birth cert - much quicker to determine who her mother was