Author Topic: James McKenzie (born May 1890 Creich, Fife - Died 1965 New Zealand  (Read 1809 times)

Offline bellam1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McKenzie (born May 1890 Creich, Fife - Died 1965 New Zealand
« on: Saturday 19 November 16 03:12 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, James McKenzie, served with the Black Watch during World War 1. His service number was 2921, and then 17357 after transfer to the Machine Gun Corps. Sometime during the war he was awarded the Military Medal after he and an unknown officer (awarded the MC) recovered under heavy enemy fire some much needed animals which had entered no mans land.

I have not been able to find out much more about his service. I presume that he initially served with the 1/7th (Fife) Battalion before moving to the 153 Machine Gun Company, both of which were part of the 153 (2nd Highland) Brigade. However, my reading of the War Diaries of both units have not identified Jim. There were others with the same name in the 153 MGC.

After the war, Jim married in Co Durham before moving to New Zealand in 1925.

Are there other places to look at, or would anyone have any information about my Jim McKenzie?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James McKenzie (born May 1890 Creich, Fife - Died 1965 New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 16 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have nothing to add but if you give some more details with dates, others may recognise & more chance of RCr's help.

Yr of birth, parents names, mother's maiden name, when married & who to?
As much as you know with areas relevant.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bellam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 16 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie,

James (Jim) McKenzie was born 8 May 1890 in Creich, Fife and married Mary Richardson (nee Hornsby) at Hamsterley Colliery, Co Durham on 23 Dec 1922. He had been boarding there with Mary's parents, Charles Hornsby and Isabella Mason Hornsby (nee Flood). James died in Christchurch, New Zealand on 18 Apr 1965.

His parents were Alexander McKenzie (born 17 Sep 1867 Bigend, Leuchars, Fife - drowned between 1 Jun and 5 Jul at Tea Beach, Scoonie Fife) and Jessie Marr (born 3 Apr 1869 Dairsie, Fife - died 4 Oct 1937 Fife District Asylum, Dairsie, Fife). Alexander and Jessie married 23  Nov 1889 in Kemback, Fife.

James was brother to:-
- Isabella McKenzie born 20 Nov 1891 Monturpie, Newburn, Fife
- Alexander McKenzie born 13 Oct 1894 Ceres Fife Died 28 Mar 1817 Reefton, New Zealand
   married 25 Jun 1919 Reefton, NZ to Alice (Queenie) Gertrude Joseph (born 16 Mar 1898 Sydney,
   New South Wales, Australia   died 22 Sep 1974 Reefton, NZ)
- Flora Marr McKenzie born 20 May 1906 Moonzie, Fife
- Marion McKenzie born 13 Sep 1899 Cupar, Fife married 11 Apr 1919 Methil, Fife to James Clark
  (born 4 Dec 1894 Kennoway, Fife the son of James Donald Clark and Isabella Wilson)

The McKenzie ancestry traces back to Duncan McKenzie (born abt 1810) who proclaimed marriage on 6 Dec 1838 in Carnbee, Fife to Robina/ Jemima Trail (born abt 1816  died 1 Apr 1888 Strathkiness, Fife); whose parents were named in her death record and who has a pedigree traced back to the early 1600's in Fifeshire. However, the marriage between Duncan and Robina was not formalised as the church record on 13 Dec 1838 shows they had absconded. She later married Archibald Tullos Anderson at Carnbee on 26 Jun 1841.

Jessie Marr's ancestry is traced back 5 generations.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 16 08:08 GMT (UK) »
You have to know that 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds their ancestors record.
What do survive are the Medal Roll Index Cards and the Award and Medal records. Unfortunately it is only in very rare instances some snippet of personal information is recorded on the back of the cards.
As you have found, the war diaries, except in very special circumstances, do not mention those men of the lower ranks so are only useful in giving a general idea of what the soldiers regiment and battalion were at any one time.

The London Gazette records awards to soldiers but don't give the why and where they were earned. 

Offline bellam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 16 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Crisane,

It turns out that my grandfather was not in the 153rd Machine Gun Company. He had been with the 9th Battalion, Machine Gun Corps when he recovered those animals. The award of Military Medal was gazetted on 17 June 1919 (Issue no 63). I have read that MM's gazetted at that time usually were for actions undertaken about October 1918. I have not been able to access the actual gazette - my inexperience showing up?

I understand that the 9th MGB was part of the 9th (Scottish) Division, which was in the Battle of Ypes (28 Sep - 2 Oct 1918), the Battle of Courtrai (14- 19 Oct 1918) and action at Ooteghem on 25 Oct 1918 so I'll try to find a War Diary of the 9th Battalion, MGC for that period to see if Jim's actions were mentioned. If he is not identified by name, that Officer who was with him may have been mentioned.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 16 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked this forum in case anyone has futher input?

http://blackwatchforums.co.uk/forum.php

My gr.grandfather was 3rd battalion (special reserve Black Watch) and his first theatre of battle was Ypres in 1914 as found on his medal card. He qualified and received the 1914 Star. He came to New Zealand in 1923 and went coal mining (something Fifers must have known well)

I am about the post a question on the above site about the survival of my gr.granfathers records as I certainly don't know how to even check

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline bellam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 December 16 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Whiteout7,

When my grandfather was awarded the Military Medal the London Gazette mentioned that he was in the 9th Machine Gun Battalion. This was found in a second medal card in the National Archives. When that MGB was formed on 1 March 1918, the only Machine Gun Company (MGC) coming into it from any Brigade that had a Black Watch Battalion in the 9th (Scottish) Division was the 26th MGC of the 26 Brigade, which Brigade included the 8th Battalion of the Black Watch. That 8th Battalion was the only Black Watch Battalion which arrived in France on 10 May, 1915. According to his Medal Card, that is the date my grandfather arrived in France.
This information has been presented to the RSA so that his gravestone, previously destroyed by vandals, may be replaced.

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 17 06:57 GMT (UK) »
If I have the correct man I see from the Cemetery Transcript that he died on my birthday, 18 April. The local papers might have published an obituary of some sort given his MM. The Canterbury Library has copies that can be accessed. The RSA themselves published a magazine in which the deaths of serving men/women were reported. They were a strong organisation 1n 1965. I see you seem to have been in contact with them. Perhaps they could help you further. Unfortunately our digitised newpapers stop at 1945 and most currently don't get that far.

Alan
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline bellam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I have an aunt and uncle (children of Jim) as well as several grandchildren all living in Christchurch. They were not aware of any newspaper articles at the time of Jim's death. However, I am told that the RSA and one of my cousins now have enough to replace his headstone.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.