Author Topic: Frederick George Barton  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick George Barton
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 November 16 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shelly

Great information-thank you very much. Quite an interesting turn of events. Elaine the daughter of a habitual criminal Frederick George Barton with several alias  is adopted age 13 by an art forger in Manhattan, marries William C. Sites alias Max C. Elliott July 24,1913 (or Dec 17,1912) and gets involved with his frauds.

Elaine Elizabeth Barton, also known as Elaine R Miller known professionally as Berenice Woods and Elaine Fairfax, the wife of William C. Sites drowns in Alabama October 5,1913 ( or Sept 22,1913 or Sept 14,1913 and buried in Boston.

Quite a continuance in her life with criminals.

I will try to find out more about her by searching under her various names. It would be good to find a photo of her during the time she was on the stage or even one of her husband. Who knows what interesting information will turn up.

Thank you for your great assistance. if you find out any more pertaining to my inquiry please post a reply.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 November 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome.  It sure is a fascinating story. 

One of the articles said she was raised in Boston, so I wonder if the adoptive parents were someone other than Ferdinand Danton.  I don't see her with any Dantons in the census records.

I think this is the 1910 census with artist Ferdinand Danton - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5SC-QJN

If this is the right guy, his wife was not with him as of the 1915 NY state census.  She was listed as a maid and had her son with her. 

However, there is another entry for a Ferdinand D'or Danton in 1910 with a different family - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5WK-J3N  I guess it could be a different guy, but the parents' place of birth seem to be the same.

It looks like he died in 1939 with wife's name listed as May - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WP3-GTV

There's some discussion of his wives here - http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=5&p=surnames.danton

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 November 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this was Frederick's wife Celestine in the 1900 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSNH-692  Perhaps Elaine was adopted before age 13.

There's a drawing of "Lord Barrington" and wife Wilhelmina here - http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn89081022/1906-02-28/ed-1/seq-3.pdf  Looks like a younger version of the man in the press photo. 

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shelly

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes I wondered about the reference to Elaine being raised in Boston too since the artist Danton was  in Manhattan. Its hard to know what story to believe as I have found a number of discrepencies such as the year and place of death of Elaine which The Brooklyn Eagle said was in Virginia and many others regarding the crimes of Barton but the general story of his life is consistent and it all ties together.

Yes the 1900 census you sent me is one I found myself before and it is her. I found a US patent registered in the names of Elizabeth Miller and daughter Celestine Barton in 1903 that had to do with sewing/laundry type work. Elizabeth Miller did open a laundry in Brooklyn so that fit in nicely.

I did find a theatrical publication regarding the death of Elaine Elizabeth Barton that you did not refer me to. It said Elaine was well known under her stage names as a vaudeville performer. What struck me as odd is that she had four alias but her husband had several also and she did state that her husband would use different names to commit his frauds. I would have thought a performer would want to keep the same name.

Its great you gave me access to Elaine's picture as a teenager/young woman. I searched for other photos of her under all the different names she went by on and off stage but could not find one. You would think that if she was so well known that there would be an image of her performing during her stage years. What a shame she died when only age 21. She must have married William C. Siles when she was about age 18. Did you find a marriage record for her?

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 12:38 GMT (UK) »
The only marriage record I found was the mention on the Alabama index. 

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shelly

I think I have everything I want now. Thanks again for all your assistance.

Offline Lark77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelley

I am researching Frederick George Barton 'Lord' Barrington and have found several newspaper articles relating to the 1903 St Louis murder and subsequent trial.  I am trying to find out what happened to Frederick between 1926 and 1938 when he was deported back to England.  I believe he must have spent more time in prison but haven't been able to find any further information.  Would you have any information or be able to suggest which records I need to look at? Any assistance you could give would be much appreciated.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I guess he should be on the 1930 census, but seems like he could have been under a variety of names.