Author Topic: Edward Bellis-Birth  (Read 2147 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Edward Bellis-Birth
« on: Saturday 19 November 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to pinpoint the Birth of an Edward Bellis.He was to marry a Mary Walker at Frodsham Cheshire in 1873.He is with Mary in the 1881 Census in Warrington where he was said to be born c 1843 in Hawarden Flintshire.On the Family Search marriage record his father is said to be a Robert Bellis.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Bellis-Birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello William
there is a baptism at Hawarden Church of St Mary, Broughton in the parish of Flint on November 12th 1848, of Edward Bellis, son of Robert (labourer) and Mary Bellis of Broughton.

Mar :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mar,it has to be considered very much a possible even though its slightly out with his later given date.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Results:
Name:   Mother's Maiden Surname:    Order:
BELLIS, EDWARD       PRICHARD     Order
GRO Reference: 1848  D Quarter in HOLYWELL  Volume 27  Page 199   
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Under his name on the parish register is "b. October 17th"
does this match any dates of birth you may have

Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the two replies,I don't have any definite date of birth.As for the mother's maiden name of Pritchard,I was looking at a possible marriage given on North Wales BMD in 1846 of a Robert Bellis and a Mary Abott at Hawarden St Deiniol.Though there is of course the possibility that it may have been Mary's second marriage.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello William
the marriage cert says that Mary Abbot aged 21 is a spinster - father Edward Abbot
Robert Bellis, aged 19 bachelor - father Thomas Bellis
Date and place - Nov 23rd 1846, Hawarden
Surname Interests

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 November 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mar.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 16 03:11 GMT (UK) »
I think that Edward Bellis was actually older than he stated when he married possibly because his wife was some years younger - when he married stated he was 30 and wife Mary shown as 23.

1841 Census - Hawarden

Robert Bellis  35     Ag. Lab.
Elizabeth Bellis 35
Daniel Bellis 11
William Bellis 8
John Bellis 6
Robert Bellis 4
Edward Bellis 1

In 1851 Edward (plus Daniel and John) shown with mother Elizabeth now widowed and on Parish Relief plus a sister Elizabeth aged 9.

The baptisms for the children are at Hawarden:

Daniel b.8/4, bp.23/4/1830
William b.9/10, bp.28/10/1832
John b.18/3, bp.12/4/1835
Robert b.25/4, bp.14/5/1837
Edward b.9/11, bp.24/11/1839
(note in register as name given at baptism as Robert when brother Robert still living - is stated to be an error made by the godfather and that name should be Edward)
Elizabeth Anne b.28/2, bp.13/3/1842

The baptisms show that mothers maiden name was Hughes.

Robert Bellis, of the township of Moor, and Elizabeth Hughes, of the same, married after banns on 4/8/1827 Hawarden - both were single and made their mark.   Witnesses Daniel Hughes (his mark) and Dean Barber.

In 1861 Edward and brother Robert still living with their mother but now moved to Gt. Broughton - 1871 he is in Warrington and become 3 years younger!

There is certainly no Edward bc.1843 Hawarden with a father Robert and I feel sure he is the one with Robert and Elizabeth in 1841 Census and that he was actually born late 1839 as baptism states.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk