Author Topic: Help with a brick wall - Daniel McCormick Murray born Kilmarnock 1903  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with a brick wall - Daniel McCormick Murray born Kilmarnock 1903
« on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.
I have been searching and searching to no avail for my mother's half brother Daniel McCormick Murray, born either 21st or 31st October 1903 in Kilmarnock (North Hamilton Street), to Daniel Murray and Margaret (ms Gordon). I believe the family still lived in Kilmarnock in 1911 although haven't found them on the census as yet but the address should be 31 Park Street. My main problem is it looks like Daniel McCormick Murray could be David as the writing on the register entry could read as Daniel or David. I have found records relating to his 3 sisters and his parents, his mother died young and his father remarried to my grandmother. I just can't find Daniel. Any help would be great here as I've exhausted Scotland's People, Ancestry, FreeBMD, Genes Reunited, etc. It would appear I am not alone in this as others searching the same line don't seem to have had much luck.
Thanks in advance.
Isle of Arran/Ayrshire - Reid, Dick, McConnell, Purden/Purdie, Allison, McKirdy/McCurdie, Tennant, Hamilton, Bowles
Renfreshire -Port Glasgow - Purdie/Purden, McKirdy/McCurdie/McReady
Eastwood Parish/Pollokshaws area, Glasgow - Campbell, Dick, McLachlan/McLauchlan/McLoughlin/McLaughlan, Edgar, McFarlane, Norris, Gray,
Linlithgow/New Kilpatrick/Milngavie - Dick, Edgar
Edinburgh/Leith/Milngavie/Stirling - John Reid
Belfast/County Derry/Magherafelt - Murray, McCormick, McCormack

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a brick wall - Daniel McCormick Murray born Kilmarnock 1903
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Could this be the family in 1911 ?

Ref. 597/13/17
Kilmarnock , Ayr.
Daniel Murray 34
Margaret Murray 33
Jane M G Murray 10
David MCC Murray 7
Annie M G Murray 5
Sarah J C Murray 5

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:10 GMT (UK) »
EV yes, that's them, where did you find them? Is the address park street? I don't know how I managed to miss them. On his birth register it says Daniel but I thought it read as David, very glad to see it says David on the census, means I was on the right track. It's finding him post 1911 that's proving difficult.
Thanks for this.
Irene
Isle of Arran/Ayrshire - Reid, Dick, McConnell, Purden/Purdie, Allison, McKirdy/McCurdie, Tennant, Hamilton, Bowles
Eastwood Parish/Pollokshaws area, Glasgow - Campbell, Dick, McLachlan/McLauchlan/McLoughlin/McLaughlan, Edgar, McFarlane, Norris, Gray,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Daniel and David (sometimes also Donald) can be interchangeable. Given his birth was registered as Daniel and he shows as David in 1911, problably best to search under both names where possible.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 16 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arrangirl,

You may have already gone down this route but sometimes it’s helpful to search the Valuation Rolls on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ because they were compiled between the census years, 1855, 1865 …. 1905, 1915, 1920 etc.  You can search by Head of House or by address, so if you suspect Daniel and or David to be at 31 Park Street, Kilmarnock in 1911 you can check the Rolls for 1905 & 1915.  This tells you that Daniel was a tenant there in 1905 but not in 1915 when the property was occupied by a Mrs Ann Clark.

Won’t always work of course but it doesn’t cost any credits to look – always a bonus!

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Daniel and David (sometimes also Donald) can be interchangeable. Given his birth was registered as Daniel and he shows as David in 1911, problably best to search under both names where possible.

Monica  :)

Thanks Monica, I've searched for moth David and Daniel but still haven't found him yet. My next move is military records as he would have been old enough for military service in the second world war.
Thanks again,. Irene

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 16 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arrangirl,

You may have already gone down this route but sometimes it’s helpful to search the Valuation Rolls on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ because they were compiled between the census years, 1855, 1865 …. 1905, 1915, 1920 etc.  You can search by Head of House or by address, so if you suspect Daniel and or David to be at 31 Park Street, Kilmarnock in 1911 you can check the Rolls for 1905 & 1915.  This tells you that Daniel was a tenant there in 1905 but not in 1915 when the property was occupied by a Mrs Ann Clark.

Won’t always work of course but it doesn’t cost any credits to look – always a bonus!

Thanks Br1gau, I know they were in Kilwinning in the 1920s so will have a look at the valuation rolls then. I have Daniel senior up til his death, and lots of info on all 3 sisters but David/Daniel junior continues to elude me!