Author Topic: Looking for George Moses Buchanan  (Read 1643 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for George Moses Buchanan
« on: Sunday 20 November 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for details of George Moses Buchanan born 26 July 1861 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire.   He was the son of Alexander Macallister Buchanan and Annie McNair Macindoe who married 28 August, 1860 in Whithorn, Wigtown.  I have the parents in the 1861 census for Scotland in Barony, Glasgow where Alexander was a silk merchant and draper.  Annie died in 1862.
I know that the Alexander the father emigrated to Melbourne, Australia as an importer,indent and commission agent particularly for soft goods, silks etc.  His  son George Moses also emigrated when he was around 20 years old.   However, I am unable to find much in the Scottish records either  for George Moses in the 1871 census (or elsewhere)or his father (although his father might have emigrated by then).  Can anyone help me find some details please?
Any information would be much appreciated.   Thanks, marp

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for George Moses Buchanan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 16 05:32 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 I think the father might well be living with his mother in Row Dumbartonshire.  The actual image on Scotlands People llisted him as a Softgood Merchant, but no sign of son George

Annie Buckanan    70 Annuitant b Bonhill, Dumbartonshire
Alexander M Buckanan 45 Son -  Widower Softgood Merchant b Kilmaronock, Dumbartonshire

Kay

Edit - I do wonder if George Moses might be listed as George M Fulton b 1862 Bothwell, Lanarkshire in 1871 in Govan and 1881 in the Gorbals -in both years listed as the nephew of John Fulton a Master Grocer and family.

In 1881 George is listed as Drapers Salesman.  I can't see a birth for a George Fulton that would fit and a tree on Anc list John Fulton's wife as Agnes Buchanan b 1836 Kilmaronock - sister of Alexander Macallister Buchanan

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 16 06:07 GMT (UK) »
I can't see George M Fulton post 1881

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 16 06:12 GMT (UK) »
I think George was in Melbourne, Australia around 1881.   His obituary in Melbourne stated he came to Melbourne when he was 20.  As he was born in 1861 that makes sense.
Thanks again, marp

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 16 06:20 GMT (UK) »
You are right about Alexander residing with his mother in the 1871 census.  I found that also.   It all fits.   Alexander had already begun importing soft goods, silks etc to Melbourne, Australia by 1870 (judging from advertisements in the local papers) and it is possible he had also set up a warehouse for his imported goods.  However, I think from later information he travelled back and forth from Australia quite often and just happened to be residing at his mother's house at the time of the 1871 census.

I was intrigued by George Fulton.   Agnes Buchanan (born c. 1836) was Alexander's sister and so was George's aunt.It makes sense, as his mother was dead, that he was brought up by relatives as his father was travelling a good deal.   

Thank you for all of this.  Any further details of George Buchanan/Fulton in the 1871 and 1881 censuses would be appreciated.   

Great detective work!   Thanks again, marp

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 16 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Glad it worked out

This is 1871 living at 128 St Portland St Govan.  Agnes looks like a second wife -Will add 1881

John Fulton 51 Grocer b  Eaglesham, Renfrewshire
Agnes Fulton 35 b Kilmarnock
James M Fulton    21  Student Divinity
Willm Fulton 18  Accountant Clerk
D M Fulton 16
Minnie C Fulton 14
Annie M Fulton 4
Alexr B Fulton 2 Mo
George M Fulton 9  Nephew b Bothwell Lanarkshire
Elizabeth Mcclymont    20  Servant

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 16 06:35 GMT (UK) »
1881  Still living at 128 South Portland St but it is now listed as in the Gorbals??

John Fulton 61 Grocer (Master)  b Eaglesham, Renfrewshire
Agnes Fulton 45  b Kilmarnock
David M Fulton 26 Accountant
Minnie C Fulton    24
Alexander B Fulton 10
George M Fulton 19 Nephew Drapers Assistant b Bothwell

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Annie Buckanan    70 Annuitant b Bonhill, Dumbartonshire
Alexander M Buckanan 45 Son -  Widower Softgood Merchant b Kilmaronock, Dumbartonshire

John Fulton 51 Grocer b  Eaglesham, Renfrewshire
Agnes Fulton 35 b Kilmarnock

Just in case it crosses anyone's mind to wonder, Kilmarnock and Kilmaronock are two entirely different parishes - the former in Ayrshire and the latter in Dunbartonshire.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Is this your Alexander McAllister BUCHANAN?
Mount Alexander Mail 19 Jul 1888 p3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198508670?
...matter involves Will of Jessie BUCHANAN  (wife Of Alexander), died 20 Mar 1887, .... principal defendant infant Jessie Muirhead SMITH residing Queensland.......

BDM VIC death
1887 / 401 BUCHNAN Jessie Muirhead  parents Robt MUIRHEAD / Janet (Jeanet)
@ Balwyn  52yrs