Author Topic: John McGinley and Bridget O'Neil  (Read 2561 times)

Offline stanb106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McGinley and Bridget O'Neil
« on: Sunday 20 November 16 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I am looking at the McGinley family. The banns for marriage for John and Bridget was on 13th November 1852 in Selkirk, but there is no actual date of the marriage form the report taken from "Scottish People".

Do anyone know when this marriage took place and who their parents were?

I know that by the 1861 census John (aged 28) and Bridget (29) both came from Ireland and resided in High Street, Selkirk.

Again do anyone know where they were actually born, and when, and did they have any siblings??

John and Bridget had 4 children in Selkirk, then moved to Jarrow / South Shields, where they had another 2 children, and where Bridget died in Q4, 1865 aged 33. John then remarried on the 30th June 1866 in South Shields to widow Jane Donoghoe / Woods.

I have all the names of the children, and other information in the Jarrow / South Shields, Durham, so I only need to see if anyone can help me with John and Bridget marriage, their siblings and their parents. Thank You.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John McGinley and Bridget O'Neil
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
If you manage to source their marriage record it may give their fathers names. As to tracing their origins in Ireland - what denomination were they? I notice the McGinley name is common in the north of Ireland while O Neill is a very prevalent surname in Ireland in general.
Rgds

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Statutory registration of marriages only started in Scotland in 1855. So for a marriage in 1852 you need to rely on church records. Scotlandspeople has a record of an RC marriage on 28.11.1852 in Hawick, between John McGinley and Bridget McNeill. Mc and O’ are interchangeable in Ireland. This is very close date wise and geographically to your information. Somehow I suspect this is your couple. (If they had any children born in Scotland in 1855, or 1861 onwards, the birth certificates should say where and when the parents married. And in the case of 1855 births only, the certificate usually records the parents places of birth, plus details of their other children alive and dead. An 1855 birth cert is a real winner if you get one).

Don’t have too great expectations about the RC marriage entry though. In my experience the information in an RC marriage record from the mid 1800s is pretty limited
Elwyn

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Is this is the family in 1861 ?
http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=77805120

If so SP has an 1855 birth for a Daniel MCGUINLEY , Selkirk Burgh , which might be worth viewing.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
The marriage mentioned 1852 Hawick and the birth of a Daniel in 1855 are indeed your family:

John McGinley and Bridget McNeill having been regularly proclaimed in order to marriage in the parish church of Selkirk as appear per certificate of Session Clerk, bearing date 22 November 1852, and no objections offered were married by me (the undersigned) at Galashiels this 28th day November 1852 (per Hawick marriage register) according to the Rites of the RC church - witnesses John McKernan and Margaret McKernan.

Birth certificate of Daniel McGuinlay born 13/8/1855 Selkirk confirms father as John McGuinlay, of Derry, Ireland and mother as Bridget nee O'Neal of County Cavan, Ireland and confirms they married 1852 Galashiels.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 16 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Next step is to get John McGinley’s father’s name and occupation from the 1866 marriage certificate.

I looked at the 1831 census for Co Derry and the name McGinley (and variants) is  not that common. If you search under McGinl* you will find about 6 households in the county. (None under McGuinl*). With the father’s name you may be able to eliminate some of the 6. You might also be able to search the parish records for his baptism. The only problem is that not all RC parishes have records that far back. For example, one household with Thomas McGinly as head is in Cumber Upper. That’s the RC parish of Banagher and their records only start in 1848. (If there ever were earlier records they have been lost). However with a father’s name and occupation there may be other searches than can be done.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Post the father’s name and occupation on the board and I’ll see if I can find anything for you.

Searching for Bridget O’Neil from Cavan without any parents names will be hard. Looking at the 1901 census for Cavan there were 30 people of that surname, so not too common but without other identifying information it would be hard to know if you had found the right one. Bridget was born around 1832. Again, as with Derry, not every RC parish in Co. Cavan has records for that era.
Elwyn

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 16 13:02 GMT (UK) »
in the 1851 census in dumfries county there's a prisoner called John Mcginley age 18 a shoemaker - it states his birth place as Dumfries, but could be worth checking in case is an error