Author Topic: Galway city newspapers 1969  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Galway city newspapers 1969
« on: Monday 21 November 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Im trying to find information about the death of my grandfather who died in Galway in 1969.It wasnt a straightforward death so I was wondering if it may have been reported in a local newspaper. He was buried on 17th March 1969 but I am not sure of the actual date of his death. My mum and her father were estranged at the time and mum has expressed an interest in how he died. Where could we access any papers of the time?
Many thanks in advance
Jacqui

ps we live in England
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Galway city newspapers 1969
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
This link gives paid access to the Connaught Telegraph, Connacht Tribune and Connacht Sentinel

Have you look for his death certificate? You can order based on his name and approx. date of death
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I havent found his death certificate because I wasnt sure how to for that year. it was the actual circumstances surrounding his death we were interested in. Its a bit nasty so didnt want to post the details here. Thanks for the reply.

jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
If you contact the GRO you can request any certificate for which you can provide the details

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

If you apply on line it is far more expensive than posting a query but they will email a reply if your request it

Any death deemed undetermined in cause, unusual in manner, not under a doctor's care, etc. would most likely have had an inquest and this could delay the issuing of a death certificate so it may not necessarily be in the same year. The Coroner's comments are often quoted as the cause of death.

The first entry on this page is a distant cousin of mine that died in an accident; LINK
Just as an example of how the coroner may be referred to
You can see it states the date the inquest was held which can be useful for further searching
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the reply. Thet hing is I know a lot about his death but not the aftermath. A newspaper report could answer a lot of questions. Thanks for your reply and i will keep trying.

Jacqui

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Irish Newspaper Archives have a Black Friday offer for a month subscription for €7.50 today
I got an email earlier but deleted it - an internet search should find it again if interested
Further generations:

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 November 16 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick look and found It. Thanks for the tip.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
That's great news - glad to be of help
Further generations: