Author Topic: Evans the Drapers  (Read 1219 times)

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evans the Drapers
« on: Monday 21 November 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Looking for any information regarding Drapers shops in the valleys run/owned by any one by the surname Evans. I know that members of my family had shops in Pontypridd,Merthyr,Newport,and
Newbridge. I'm curious to find out more detail regarding the above and whether any one can expand on the above. Also curious if there are any descendants of Evans the Drapers still living  there or anywhere really?
Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Evans the Drapers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 16 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Given that the surname Evans is a very common surname in Wales - you need to give more info

Timescale?

Christian names/birthyears - but not of anybody still living?

What census info do you have?

Have you checked the 1939 register for any of them to at least establish addresses?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
An article in the free to search and view, Welsh Newspapers Online, is about a fatality in Merthyr of the son of Timothy Evans, draper.
It is entitled - Sad bathing fatality at Merthyr
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3506676/3506679/46/

Mar  :)

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 16 12:26 GMT (UK) »
You might find this site helpful for Merthyr:
http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 16 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for replying to my post and apologies for my late response.
In retrospect i should have posted some dates,etc. ,the time period runs from about 1840 onwards.
I have quite a bit of detail which is listed below-
Timothy Evans [1828-1887] was one half of Phillips and Evans,Drapers,Merthyr. He lived at 11,Courtlands Terrace,Merthyr. I knew about his son's tragic accident but had not seen the newspaper report-thank you to Mar. I also have a large amount of information about Timothy ,but what i'd like to find out is more about his business [where it was located,etc.],his other interests [religion,masonic connections] or any thing that can't be easily accessed online.
John Evans[b1847] ran a Drapers shop at 92,Taff Street,Pontypridd in 1881 again I'm looking for similar information to the above as i have the census records so have I believe all of his children.
James Evans[b1863] in 1901 ran a Drapers at 144 Commercial Road,Newport,again I'm looking for similar information to the above but I'm also keen to find out any info. regarding his daughters-Elsie[b1894],Blanche[b1896] and Olive[b1899].
I have another John Evans[1885-1962] as well who lived in Newbridge and I suspect that he also ran a Drapers shop there.
I would like to hear from anybody who might have connections to the above or any others who have Evans the drapers in their families not listed above as I believe there could be others that I'm unaware of.
All the above were born in Pencarreg or Llanybyther in Carmarthenshire and that's where my Evans relations originate from. I am aware of one other Evans from Pencarreg who ran a Drapers in Bedwellty but don't have a firm family connection to him.
Thank you,regards,Dafydd
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Davies-
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dafydd
the short notice in the newspaper announcing Timothy Evans death in January 1887, says he was formerly part of the firm of Phillips and Evans of High Street Merthyr.
An advertisement on 8th October 1897 for Richard T Jones & Co. says in brackets in the advert (late Phillips and Evans); the address is 126 High Street and Market Square.
126 High Street is now occupied by Specsavers!
Market Square (as was) has now gone, but there are some old photos on the Merthyr History site of how it looked - Alan George's Old Merthyr
 http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/marketsquare.htm

Edit - The following article (South Wales Echo, 23 Jan 1886, page 3) confirms the High Street, Merthyr address
"PARTNERSHIP DISSOLVED. David Phillips and Timothy Evans, trading as Phillips and Evans, at 126, High-street, Merthyr Tydfil, general drapers, silk merchants, and outfitters. Evans retires."

Mar :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Mar thanks again,Graham too found a photo of what I suspect to be Phillips and Evans Drapers on Alan George's site-the Old Cloth Hall on High St.,Merthyr,though by the time of the photo it was just Phillips and co..

Diolch,Dafydd
Griffiths-
Davies-