Author Topic: Glue works at Newark  (Read 528 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Glue works at Newark
« on: Monday 21 November 16 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Over 50 years ago, which working in the railway accounts off at Lincoln I was told by the departmental head that he had invoiced two train loads of human bones from Yugoslavia to Newark for use in making glue. This occurred in 1947 approx, and was clearly an aftermath of some atrocity during or shortly after WW2. Does anyone have any detail whatsoever about when this took place?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glue works at Newark
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 16 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I would query the voracity of that information but here's an article you may like to read.

http://www.themeister.co.uk/hindley/vivian_suter_memories.htm
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Glue works at Newark
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 16 17:18 GMT (UK) »
The article is certainly interesting, thanks very much. As regards the veracity of my information, the context was that I had just taken over a job of continental invoicing, around 1966 on an exchange basis. When he sanctioned my temporary transfer to the post, the Accountant said " I hope you never have to deal with what I had to deal with when I was doing this job in 1947" He then told me about the two trainloads of human bones. I believed and still believe it to be true; as we know there are and were many atrocities in the Balkans, during that war, its predecessors and subsequent wars. Obviously a sitution like that would be kept very quiet because of likely public outcry.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)