Author Topic: Prison Records & Memories of : Danny Mann / Daniel Andrew John Mann PERTH  (Read 3928 times)

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Prison Records & Memories of : Danny Mann / Daniel Andrew John Mann PERTH
« on: Tuesday 22 November 16 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking into whatever I can find about this guy (my late dad).

I have his birth and death cert and I'm interested in finding out about his police record and jail spent time. He was a colourful character..

He lived in the town of Perth, near the South Inch and went to Caledonian Road School.  He attended school trips at Comrie.  His dad's name was Edward Mann, mum was named Annie McQuaid (nee McIntyre).

I'm so brand new to the research thing that probably a few pointers in the right directions will help.

I'm based in Australia so getting to Scotland and finding the information hands-on is hard.

Thanks

GG
Mann - McIntyre - Graham

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Records & Memories of : Danny Mann / Daniel Andrew John Mann PERTH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Colourful character indeed. Murdered by his wife or partner IIRC? It was a few years ago now so I can't remember if she was convicted or not? You might know more than me.

Only spoke to the guy once as far as I know. He was telling us all how he was one of the guys responsible for starting up the original "Perth Pack", a local gang, and he was the one who came up with the name.

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 16 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hey, thanks for your message.

Yes, he was murdered by his girlfriend, in 1995. She was released less than a year later.

The story about "the pack" is true.  I think it could have been a football related gang but can't be sure.

I'm really grateful for your message and was hoping you would have a rough idea of the year(s) you encountered him.  This was in Perth?  I know there was some time in Peterhead - I have a letter he wrote my mum.

Thanks again

G.
Mann - McIntyre - Graham

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi GG

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Now that you have posted a couple of times, you should be able to send and receive private messages (PMs) which might help with some of the current details.

If you search the National Records of Scotland online Catalogue here http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx for 'Daniel Mann' and then click button for 'exact phrase' you should see an entry coming up in 1974 in Perth (not to do with criminal matters).

Given how recent it is, I do not think you could get access to these papers (even with a personal search taking place).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you so much! I had no idea about this area of research, and I'm interested to see something which isnt criminal. :-*

Also, I didnt know I could send receive private messages - thats helpful.

I have taken a look at the link - am I correct to say, this is a mother claiming he fathered her child?  I know I have two half sisters, older, but the mothers name is different.

Thanks again, Monica!

GG
Mann - McIntyre - Graham

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 16 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hey, thanks for your message.

Yes, he was murdered by his girlfriend, in 1995. She was released less than a year later.

The story about "the pack" is true.  I think it could have been a football related gang but can't be sure.

I'm really grateful for your message and was hoping you would have a rough idea of the year(s) you encountered him.  This was in Perth?  I know there was some time in Peterhead - I have a letter he wrote my mum.

Thanks again

G.
Would have been early 90s I think. He came in the amusement arcade in South Methven Street, Perth one night and started talking to a group of us. Trying to impress us with his tales.

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 16 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, for sharing your story, JoeDuffy.  I can well imagine him.
G
Mann - McIntyre - Graham

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi gg2016

If you type "Daniel Mann perth Scotland"  including the quotes into Google it will give you a couple of articles of interest to you.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Deak63

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi GG, did you know Danny has a son? G*. Noticed the name on mainstream web, he got into trouble way back in 2008 in Perth but not sure where he is now.
The lady who killed him was Davina McCauley, she later committed suicide via guilt of murdering him.
Maybe G* is a brother or step brother?
Hope this helps.

* Edit , living ?