Author Topic: Question about the 1939 register.  (Read 1172 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Question about the 1939 register.
« on: Tuesday 22 November 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
When the 1939 register was taken, does it show the permanent usual address or, like the censuses show where you were on that night? The question arose when a friend found her mother in an unexpected place. As the register was used to issue identity cards, I would have thought they would need permanent address, but I can't find a definite answer anywhere.

Thanks.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the 1939 register.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
On The National Archives website it says:

The 1939 Register was designed to capture the whereabouts of the civilian population on a specific date. taken on 29 September 1939

By 29 September 1939 there had already been mass evacuations of the population so the records of many individuals may be listed in an entirely different location to the rest of their family.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can see that if a person was evacuated their address would be different, but would be where they would be living for the next few months. However, if they were just visiting someone over night, would their identity card have that address on rather than their home address?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
From what I can see on the interweb, the original register showed where they were on the night of 29th September (just like a census).

Changes in address meant moving to a different Council, and therefore Ration Books from a different Authority?
So the change of address would have to be notified to someone?

The records were used to produce up-to-date population statistics and identification cards and, once rationing was introduced in January 1940, to facilitate the issuing of ration cards. Information in the Register was also used to administer conscription, and to monitor and control the movement of the population caused by military mobilisation and mass evacuation.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Seems a bit silly, as from what I was reading when the enumerator collected the forms he issued identity cards at the same time. So lots of people must have immediately had cards bearing the wrong information.

Just found a blank form and yes it does say those in the house that night. You'd have thought they might have added a column asking for usual address if different!

http://www.1911census.org.uk/regform1939a.jpg