Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what details would be on a Death Cert. (as recent as 1997 to date) of someone who has possibly changed their name, whether by Deed Poll or not?

Last sighted in 1997.

I know when I registered my father's death in 2006 the Registrar actually looked up the info. I gave regarding his birth date/place & my g/parents (obviously to verify).

If this said person (born Scotland) is in fact deceased under a different name, the Registrar having done a check (if that was the case) would notice the facts didn't tie in so to speak.

Assuming his correct birth details were located would the death cert. show said "new" name with "previously known as" if the informant knew those details or possibly by the Registrar?

I am helping someone who's family is related to mine although we are not related.

I can't post any details as such of the person we are trying to trace as they may still be living, rumoured to have changed both forename & surname.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Is the person male or female?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
SB,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I know married women in Scotland are registered by both surname & maiden name (if known by the informant) but that is not my question.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
SB,

You may have missed this;

Assuming his correct birth details were located would the death cert. show said "new" name with "previously known as" if the informant knew those details or possibly by the Registrar?

Annie

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I was just trying to remember the previous iMessage I have registered deaths in England or Wales

For females they do ask the question.  Any other names by which the person has been known?

For iMessage read TIMES
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
SB,

You may have missed this;

Annie
I would expect so, in my experience registrars for deaths are very sensitive and do not rush, but the informant may not have known
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I was just trying to remember the previous iMessage I have registered deaths in England or Wales

For females they do ask the question.  Any other names by which the person has been known?

For iMessage read TIMES

SB,

Not being facetious but did you read my "SUBJECT" heading, "Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?"

"For iMessage read TIMES"...can you please explain what this is in regard to?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I would expect so, in my experience registrars for deaths are very sensitive and do not rush, but the informant may not have known

SB thanks,

I too would expect so but however I don't know i.e. I am asking a question directed at anyone who can give me a definitive answer & if in the event it isn't forthcoming, I will inform the person I'm trying to help to get in touch with New Register House.

The people on here are very knowledgeable & as I only found out about the possible change of name today, thought I would post as one never knows what others have found.

Annie

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »

For iMessage read TIMES

SB,

Not being facetious but did you read my "SUBJECT" heading, "Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?"

"For iMessage read TIMES"...can you please explain what this is in regard to?

Annie
        I was on an I pad earlier,    and it  did predictive  interpretation of what I  had typed

It mangled up what I meant to say, sorry.
Avies ~   Norwich