Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Rosinish,
I don't know if changing a name by deed poll would result in an RCE for the original birth record.
I was asking the question.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Ok!

Still something for him to consider just the same as one never knows & he's desperate to find where he lived/died or whatever?

Now wondering whether he lived in England & possibly his reason for not lingering after his brother's funeral, maybe had to travel back?

Thanks for all replies.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Just thought there is a slight similarity in my mother's family.

The brother of my Maternal Grandfather just seemed to disappear from records in the early 1920s and his wife started having children with someone else.  I couldn't find any Death Certificate in Scotland or indeed in any other part of the UK. I can't remember quite how I found it but by chance I found the Death Certificate of someone with the same first name and exact date of birth passing away in British Columbia, Canada (thankfully certificates there are FOC) in the 60s.  The surname used though was his mother's maiden name, well possibly, as we are not sure if her surname was McKay or McCoy! With advice from a person in Canada, I contacted the Library there and got a copy of his obituary in the local press, which confirmed it was him as it mentioned his son still here in Scotland with his real surname! Although, it opened more cans of worms as the obituary and certificate mentioned his "wife" in Canada, who we think after more detective work, was also estranged from her real husband and we don't think she and my relative were, in fact, married, and if they were, they were likely bigamists depending on when they actually did so!

Maybe try googling his date of birth or year and name and see if anything comes up?
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 October 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
My apologies Caroline as I have only picked this up again after all that time!

Thanks for your experience as it's very helpful indeed!

I will pass this on now as the person I was helping is now a newish member of RC  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"