Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cert. with Change of Name (Scotland) - Possibly by Deed Poll?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I have often found certificates with the name the person was known by, but indexed by other or previous names.

In any case, a Scottish death certificate names the parents of the deceased, including his/her mother's maiden surname (assuming the informant had that information), and will normally be indexed accordingly.

I'm a bit hazy about deed polls, but as I understand it you can call yourself anything you like in Scotland unless you do so with intent to commit fraud.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Deed Polls in England/Wales are normally listed in The London Gazette.
I would think that Scottish Deed Polls would be listed in The Edinburgh Gazette?

But, as Forfarian said, the law in Scotland in this respect is similar to that of England/Wales, in that a person can call themselves anything they like as long as there is no intention to deceive or defraud.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,

As I stated:

Can anyone tell me what details would be on a Death Cert. (as recent as 1997 to date) of someone who has possibly changed their name, whether by Deed Poll or not?

I know the procedure of a "normal" death, parents etc. but what I'm wondering is, if indeed there was a name change (unknown to informant), legal or not, being so recent, would this be picked up by the Registrar if the informant knew the actual birth date & place which was in Glasgow?

As I mentioned, the Registrar looked up the records (on comp) with the info. I gave about my father, which were correct but had the info. been wrong, it would have been detected but in this case there was no name change to consider.

I am aware we can choose to be called by any name we wish but that is not my question which is would it be detected at death registration by the Registrar & therefore include his original birth name too and/or would it not necessarily be picked up on?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I am aware we can choose to be called by any name we wish but that is not my question which is would it be detected at death registration by the Registrar & therefore include his original birth name too and/or would it not necessarily be picked up on?
The short answer is yes, provided the informant was able to supply the information. As I said above, in fewer words, if the deceased's father's name is different from the one the deceased was known by, the death certificate is normally indexed by the father's surname as well as the ones used by the deceased. Sometimes it can also be indexed by the surname of a later husband of the mother's, if the person was known by the stepfather's surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 23:25 GMT (UK) »
If the person in question was born in Scotland, it may be worth checking the birth with Register House to see if an RCE was issued at any time.

I found something recently which took me by surprise.
At Register House, I looked at a 1958 birth record ( to check address of parents) and noticed an RCE was attached.

This RCE was issued in 1979!
The person's last name was being altered to reflect his step father's name.
I read the info on the RCE over and over again to ensure that the father's name was not being altered too.
It wasn't.
 The RCE was issued when this person was 21yrs of age, purely to change HIS last name.
The father's name on the original, remained unaltered.

The RCE gave no indication as to why this was being done.
I'm none the wiser but, would changing a name by deed poll work it's way back to the original birth record ?

EDIT:
Apologies.
I see the OP did contact Register House to clarify that the details held were correct

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Anne,

I have never come across such a thing before & have never given it any thought until today when confronted with it.

We don't think he married (have not found a marriage yet).

He was born 1927 left home to work in England 50/60's for a while, had disassociated himself from family around that time.

Was seen & spoken to at his brother's funeral in 1997 (Glasgow) but didn't linger.

A family member heard he'd changed his name to.........

Seemed a bit drastic but turns out the new surname (if this was the case) was his g/mother's m/s i.e. seems plausible.

We can't find him under his own surname which is not common at all & now starting to wonder if the name change is true & if now deceased, informant not knowing his original name but only date & place of birth, would it be picked up on registering from 1997 onwards?

I will tell the person I'm helping to get in touch with NRH as I think it's a complicated issue but hoped someone may have know the answer.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Quick question Annie .... if a death record can't be found for him under the obvious surnames, is it possible that he is still alive?  :-\

If estranged from  the family for so many years, it is quite possible that an informant would not know his parental and other identifying details.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie,

You have it in one!

I did mention he could still be living but we have been unable to find him on voters rolls etc.

The only other thing for the person seeking him is to call all no's in directory with his surname & hope to come across a relative?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie,

The records that are possible, I found yesterday but can't be obtained until lad's next pay.

Anne,

Am I understanding you correctly, if he changed his name by Deed Poll it would be automatically forwarded to NRH for the RCE?

That would make sense with it being a legal change.

Will inform the lad, thanks.

Annie