Author Topic: BRADY family 1700s - Orford, Iken, Chillesford area  (Read 1287 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRADY family 1700s - Orford, Iken, Chillesford area
« on: Tuesday 22 November 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Five years ago I posted in these forums here about my Brady family and received some helpful information as always...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=557532.0

All this time later I am on the hunt again for my Suffolk ancestors and believe I have now found my Sarah Brady's parents thanks to a settlement certificate!

To recap, my ancestor Sarah Brady married Thomas Grimwood at Orford on 28 June 1781.

All their children were baptised in Orford:

Thomas Grimwood 1781–1858
John Grimwood 1783–1863
Sarah Grimwood\Pritty 1785–1868 (my ancestor)
Samuel Grimwood 1786–1840
George Grimwood 1787–1788
George Grimwood 1789–1790
Mary Grimwood 1791–1792

Sarah Brady/Grimwood was buried on 23 June 1792 and her age is recorded as 36, so she was born c1755-1756.

I have now found a settlement certificate in Orford parish records dated 19 September 1761 (SRO Ipswich FC 168/G4/1/48) which names John Brady, Sarah his wife and John and Sarah their children, Iken.

This is surely my Sarah and then places her in the parish of Orford and names her father. Her second son was called John so this does indeed all fit.

They had evidently therefore come from Iken and I wonder if this is where Sarah's baptism is?

Other records I have found are another settlement certificate this time in Iken for John Brady, labourer, of Orford dated 16 October 1759. (SRO Ipswich FC161/G13/23).

This only names him not family members so not sure if it is the same man or not, but given the locations it seems likely.

There is then a marriage licence bond for a John Brady widower of Chillesford and Sarah Murdoch a singlewoman of Orford. To be married at Orford.

I assume this is the couple whose settlement certificate was dated 1761.

In 14 April 1789, John Brady the younger of Iken had a settlement certificate in Orford, so this might be their son. (SRO Ipswich FC 168/G/4/2/5)

As my ancestor Sarah Brady/Grimwood was (according to her age at burial) born in c1755/6 and John remarried in November 1756, this raises the possibility that Sarah Murdock was not her mother, but rather John's first wife.

I wonder if anyone might please be able to help me with this at all please.

I have seen the records of Chillesford as they are online but wonder if anyone might be able to help me with this search please.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRADY family 1700s - Orford, Iken, Chillesford area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 02:39 GMT (UK) »
This looks like John Brady's first marriage:

John Brady married Anne Syred 27/10/1751 Dallinghoo, Suffolk

then:

Ann Brady bur.9/9/1753 Orford, Suffolk.

So, if Sarah was indeed born ca.1755/56 (probably latter as John and Sarah Murdock married 1756 Orford per Boyds Marriage Index) then Sarah was indeed her mother, and not Ann/e.

Dallinghoo baptisms are online but no Brady's baptised there.   Unfortunately, this area of Suffolk is not well represented in online coverage as I expect you know.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Annette.

I have now found their marriage licence bond on the Suffolk Records Office website:

FAA/23/14/92 Marriage Licence Bond: John Brady and Anne Syred (27 Oct 1751)
Description:
Farmer and singleman of Iken, Anne Syred of Orford. To be married at Dallinghoo.

So yes it would appear that my Sarah was the daughter of John Brady and his second wife Sarah Murdock.

There is also this:

Settlement by Thomas Carthew that John Brady belongs to Iken
FC161 IKEN PARISH (1633-2005)
FC161/G/13/24 Settlement by Thomas Carthew that John Brady belongs to Iken
Date: nd

So it looks like John Brady lived in Iken in 1751, married Anne Syred in Orford in 1751, his wife was buried at Orford in 1753, lived in Chillesford in 1756, remarried Sarah Murcock at Orford in 1759 in Orford, then he went back to Iken before returning to Orford in 1761.

John was a farmer in 1751 and if he was the John in the 1759 settlement (which might be doubtful as he has no family listed) then was a labourer.

The no dated document naming Thomas Carthew perhaps means John Brady was sent back to Iken at some point, perhaps after his wife's death in 1753.

Any more help on my Brady quandary would be gratefully received please!

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Jon, Have you been able to make any progress in this?  Robert lived in the town of Orford for a while before he took the farm at Iken. Although he had grandson William, my record does not give the name of the son, and he might have had more than one.   The chronicler wrote 100 years after the event!  There is a whole line of Johns going back to the mid XVII century, but I have found no evidenced connection to these so far, though it is possible that if our Scotch connection is misplaced time-wise, one of the cousins Charles or Robert could be son of one of the Johns.   Robert’s son could be a John, and this could link up with the Iken thing.
Whether or not related, I don’t know yet, but there seem to be at least two lines running in parallel.  Robert’s line seems to have prospered, at least for a while, but the other line seems to have been living on the breadline. A John was summonsed to stand before Parliament for an inquiry into smuggling . In JOURNALS OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS VOLUME 13, II WIII,  10o Februarii     A.1699 John Brady said: that he was a capital Burgess and had known Orford 47 years, being born and bred there. (Meanwhile, Charles Brady is reported to have been representing his Majesty’s Revenue in the district! )
John Brady was born in 1652. This is old enough to have been both father/uncle to Charles  and/or  Robert. Then there is a John Brody who married in 1607...now that is the name of the clan our family tradition states we originated from.
There seems to be so little recording around this time.
Mike br
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Maggie Driver from Grimwood ONS has recently provided me with details of the children of John Brady who were baptised in Orford:

4   3   1757   John           son   John   Sarah   BRADY        Orford, St Bartholomew
12   5   1761   Sarah   dau   John   Sarah   BRADY        Orford, St Bartholomew
13   9   1762   Mary           dau   John   Sarah   BRADY        Orford, St Bartholomew
8   4   1764   Thomas   son   John   Sarah   BRADY               Orford, St Bartholomew

So my Sarah Brady was indeed the daughter of John Brady and Sarah Murdock who married in 1756.

It would appear that Sarah's age on her burial of 36 in 1792 must have been an error.

Still no idea of the origins of John Brady but thanks very much for that information, Mike.

The registers of Orford are not online so this makes searching for the Bradys are more difficult task than it would be if they came from Norfolk!

Jon