Author Topic: Mitchell family in Scotland  (Read 3433 times)

Offline wmonks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell family in Scotland
« on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching another side of the family, of Robert Mitchell b 1826 in Lochgair, Argyllshire,  he married a Margaret Mitchell also born in Lochgair, Argyllshire on 1830, Margaret Mitchell's parents are Duncan Mitchell and Catherine Leitch Mitchell.   I'm looking to find who Robert Mitchell's parents were, and possibly the parents of Duncan Mitchell, the father of Margaret.  This is a bit confusing, since it seems that they may have been related before the marriage.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
One of your dates must be an error.

Have you found them in the 1841 and 1851 census? That might provide useful material. If they were still alive in 1855, then the best way to find out about their parents is from their death certificates.

Offline wmonks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi-  My information shows that the first offspring to Robert and Margaret was born in Ontario Canada in 1853.  I have not yet looked in the census for 1841 or 1851.  Thank you for your help.  This is a great source.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:41 GMT (UK) »
One of your dates must be an error.

Agree GR2,

wmonks can you confirm whether Margaret was born in 1830 or married in 1830 please?

If married in 1830, her husband Robert could not have been born 1826?

Is it the wording that is confusing us?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wmonks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:49 GMT (UK) »
My apologies.  What my info says is Robert Mitchell was born May, 1826 in Lochgair, Argyllshire, he married Margaret Mitchell in 1852, Margaret was born in 30/08/1830 also in Lochgair, Argyllshire.  Margaret's parents are Duncan Mitchell and Catherine Leitch.  I know Robert and Margaret had left Scotland by 1853, as their first child is born in Ontario in 1853.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 22:48 GMT (UK) »

Here's my token contribution...the only two the fit in Argyll but not in Lochgair.  No marriage recorded in Scotland for a Robert/Margaret Mitchell 1849-1853.

MITCHELL MARGARET 26/11/1826 Campbeltown Parents: DUNCAN MITCHELL/ISOBELL MARTIN

MITCHELL ROBERT 19/11/1826 Campbeltown Parents: WILLIAM MITCHELL/SARAH MCNAIR

They may have married on the ship or in Canada or he may have married another Margaret with a completely different last name. 

Canadian Census here http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx see if they are in the 1861/71.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline wmonks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Actually this is possible.  Though one document we have was written in 1931 says that on this date of June 1931 they celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the landing of their forefathers on thus continent which was Canada.  So maybe they all immigrated in 1831 and Robert and Margaret did marry in Canada.  I just assumed they were married in Scotland.  So you were very helpful i will look there for more info to that.  I know that Duncan lived 1795 to 1875 and his wife Catherine lived 1799-1879. They helped in the founding of kilmartin presbyterian church in and around St Thomas Ontario.  They left Scotland from ardrischaig Scotland. 

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Information on Margaret Mitchell listed on your other post arriving 1831 Canada along with her father Duncan and Christina Leitch  ???
Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Death for Robert Mitchell on 26 November 1889 Detroit Michigan information on parents names unknown ...Family tree has them listed as John Mitchell and Nancy McLean
Rosie