Author Topic: Mitchell family in Scotland  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Gymdom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 17 04:57 BST (UK) »
To those looking for information re. the Mitchell Family that left Argyllshire, went to Canada, and some of whom ended up in Detroit (we live in Detroit), I can possibly help if you give me specific questions.  That is my husband's family and we have gone to the Mitchell family reunion here several times over the past 45 years.  I have done genealogy work on the family in the past and his father, Donald Mitchell Fuller, also wrote a "lite" family history.   

I am just refreshing my memory on all this as my husband wants to pop over to that part of Scotland to see where his Scottish family hailed from, and when pulling out my old records, can see if I can answer anything you are looking for-

Offline Gymdom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 September 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
SEEKING FURTHER INFO ON THE MITCHELLS OF BUTE/ARGYLL who came to Canada and some of whom ended up in Detroit -- Specifically who was wife of of Donald Mitchell (b. 1790 in Rothesay, Bute or Argyll, d. 1844 Canada).  Also who were his parents?  By family tradition, we believe he was married to a Jean MacAlpine (or Jean McAlpin) also born in Scotland, but we see other references to an Agnes/Ann McLean.

Gladys Elise Mitchell is my husband's grandmother (Birth: 1894 Ontario, Canada;Death: 1987  Detroit, Michigan USA);Gladys was the daughter of Donald Mitchell (b. 1863 Canada) and Augusta Fitzpatrick. Gladys Mitchell married 15 Jun 1915 to Stephen F. Fuller, son of Jacob Fuller and Mary Lanning (these Fuller's are those that came over on the Mayflower).

Gladys' grandfather was Archibald Frederick Mitchell (went by Fred) b. 1841 Eckfield, Butte, Scotland and d. 1865 Canada?

Her g- grandfather was Donald Mitchell b. 1790 (maybe in Rothesay, Bute or Argyll, Scotland) and died in 1844 in Canada.  It is he who may have been married to Jean MacAlpine (McAlpin) or to Ann/Agnus Mclean.  Any information appreciated - as I look at these dates, I'm wondering if I am missing a generation since this would make Donald b. 1790 quite old to father Fred b. 1841.

Offline wmonks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Good Day, we too live in the Detroit area.  My husband's Mitchell family immigrated from Scotland to Canada and then to Detroit.  His great-great grandmother is Margaret Mitchell, who married William Allan.  It would be great to see if we can compare notes.  Margaret's parents were Robert and Margaret, both born in Lochgair, Argyllshire Scotland.  Margaret was born in Southwold, Ontario.  I don't see a Donald in my documentation.  I have two Duncans though.

Offline Darryl Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 March 23 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of the Duncan Mitchell Catherine Leitch Mitchell spoken of in this post. They immigrated from  Lochgair Argylshire Scotland in 1831 and settled on the farm i once owned in Mosa Township, Middlesex, Ontario. The Robert Mitchell you inferred to immigrated as a child. Three children came to Canada. I have a detailed family tree in Canada of much of this family on Ancestry.ca.
I have an original photo of Catherine Leitch Mitchell as taken from the Mitchell Family Bible of John Mitchell, a son of Duncan and Catherine and sibling to Robert.

Offline Darryl Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 March 23 03:16 GMT (UK) »
In the same family Bible I have several photos. One has Agnes Mitchell written on it. Perhaps that is the same person as was mentioned

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 March 23 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Information on Margaret Mitchell listed on your other post arriving 1831 Canada along with her father Duncan and Christina Leitch  ???
Rosie
Hi Rosie...

Can you post a link to the other post please to save duplication of effort?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I am from Argyll and I have cousins who connect to this Mitchell family, I believe. My father's first cousin, a MacInnes, married a MacVicar from Lochgair in the early 1960s. This MacVicar is a grandson of Archibald MacVicar (1857 - 1929) and Catherine Mitchell (1866 - 1946). Catherine was the d/o Robert Mitchell and Catherine Fletcher. That Robert was the s/o another Robert Mitchell and Catherine MacVicar.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull